Fri, Nov 27, 2015, Safar 14, 1437 A.H | Last updated 1 hour ago
Hot Topics
You are here: Home > Today's Paper > Karachi
- Saturday, February 05, 2011 - From Print Edition




Doctors and paramedics suspended their activities at the National Institute of Child Health (NICH) on Friday after they were subjected to torture by parents and relatives of a 10-year-old girl who died in the morning due to alleged negligence on the part of doctors.


All scheduled surgeries were called off while doctors also boycotted the OPDs and cancelled their visits to wards in protest.


The father of the girl, Umer Nawab, a resident of Banaras Colony, said they had admitted her to the NICH as she had been suffering from fever for the last two weeks.


On Thursday night, when the girl’s health deteriorated a doctor on duty gave her an injection, which worsened her health. She went into coma after the injection, the father claimed.


On the intervention of the parents and other relatives of the patient, she was shifted to the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital where she expired on Friday morning.


The father of the child held doctors responsible for her death, saying she was given a wrong medicine by injection which resulted in her death.


He urged the health authorities to take notice of the incident and take action against the doctors whose neglect killed his daughter.


Following the death of the child, enraged relatives of the girl started thrashing doctors on duty and smashing windowpanes in protest.


They also held a protest demonstration outside the NICH, chanting slogans against the doctors and demanding of the government to register a criminal case against those responsible.


On the other hand, doctors boycotted the OPDs, cancelled surgeries and routine visits to wards to protest against their manhandling.


Director NICH Prof Jamal Raza said he had constituted a committee to investigate the incident, refusing to share anything else until the committee submitted its findings.


He said strict action would be taken if any doctor associated with the hospital was found responsible for the death of the girl.