ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Sunday said the Nato supply line had not been suspended but permanently stopped, making it clear that containers that had been stopped would not be allowed to cross the Pak-Afghan border.
Talking to the media here at the National Crisis Management Cell of the Ministry of Interior, he strongly condemned the Nato attack on Pakistani forces and said Nato should respect the feelings of the Pakistani nation. The minister said the nation and the government mourned the death of 26 personnel of the Pakistani security forces caused by Nato aggression on the Salala post in Mohmand Agency.
He said the decisions of the Defence Cabinet Committee (DCC) on the Nato attack would be implemented in letter and spirit. “The decisions of the DCC are final and will be implemented,” the minister said. “The democratic government of Pakistan will not take dictation from anyone.”
Referring to security arrangements for Muharram, the interior minister said they had been completed and foolproof security would be ensured across the country to maintain the sanctity of the holy month. He said Rangers and police had been deployed in sensitive parts of Punjab, while Rangers and Army would maintain peace and order in Sindh. The minister said the Sindh Police had been given extra powers to maintain law and order in the province.
Meanwhile, the Interior Minister visited the Control Room of the National Crisis Management Cell, established at the Ministry of Interior to monitor the law and order and security situation during Muharram-ul-Haram. During the visit, DG National Crisis Management Cell (NCMC) briefed the minister about arrangements for the holy month throughout the country. The minister appreciated the performance of the NCMC Control Room.