Fri, Nov 27, 2015, Safar 14, 1437 A.H | Last updated 1 hour ago
Hot Topics
You are here: Home > Today's Paper > Peshawar
- Saturday, October 12, 2013 - From Print Edition


PESHAWAR: The Peshawar High Court (PHC) Friday confirmed pre-arrest bail to Awami National Party MNA Ghulam Bilour and his nephew Haroon Bilour in an election-related violence case.


A single PHC bench comprising Chief Justice Dost Muhammad Khan confirmed the bail before arrest application of the ANP leaders, restraining the police from arresting them till a final decision of the trial court in the case, lodged against them by the PTI workers.


The Gulbahar Police Station registered an FIR against Ghulam Bilour, Haroon Bilour and several ANP activists for alleged violence at a polling station in Sheikhabad area. The case was registered under various sections related to rioting, arranging unlawful assembly, impersonation during polls and obstructing public servants from performing duty.


Advocates Abdul Lateef Afridi and Ishtiaq Ibrahim appeared for the two petitioners and contended that the entire case was concocted and registered on pressure of the PTI leadership. They said no firing or explosion had taken place at the said polling station.


The counsels contended that Ghulam Bilour was nearly 75 and on the day of election, he remained at his residence as due to security threat he was not given clearance. They stated that he had not visited the said polling station on the day of by-election on August 22.


Ishtiaq Ibrahim argued that Haroon Bilour was a former town council nazim and had done his LLM. He added that in fact, daughter of Ghulam Bilour was manhandled at the Sheikhabad polling station, which was a stronghold of ANP, following which Haroon Bilour visited the area and pacified the infuriated workers. He added that the sections of PPC were bailable but after pressure from the provincial government, the police included ATA in the FIR.


Counsels for the complainants, PTI workers Wahab and Sohail Haider, submitted that the ANP leaders on a minor complaint severely tortured the complainants and hurled life threats at them on the by-election day. They further said the ANP leaders also ransacked the PTI camp outside the polling station.