ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Interior Rehman Malik has said that the American CIA (Central Intelligence Agency), not Pakistan, created the Haqqani network and trained its members.
The minister said the nation is ever ready to meet any challenge against the country. He said the US should acknowledge the sacrifices of the Pakistani people and armed forces rendered during the war against terrorism. He said that Pakistan started the fight against aggression and is still continuing the war against terrorism.
While addressing the terrorist outfits, he said, “Our nation is united against terrorism.”Talking to media persons at a ceremony held to laud the Islamabad police over the recovery of a huge cache of weapons here on Sunday, the interior minister said the Haqqani network was present in Afghanistan and those claiming otherwise should give evidence of its presence in Pakistan. “We will fight the terrorists as our forces are capable of handling them and countering any challenge,” the minister said and added that it was evident from combating militants in Swat and other troubled areas. He said the law enforcement agencies were making sincere efforts to root out the menace of terrorism.
He said Pakistan never blamed CIA or Afghanistan directly over various attacks in Mohmand Agency, Bajaur and other areas and even the Afghan interior minister was contacted for resolving the issue.
He said the nation was confident of the capabilities of Pakistan Army, government leadership and its strength as Pakistanis. “The nefarious designs of external elements will be foiled,” he said.
Malik stressed for a strong immigration system at Pak-Afghan border and urged the international community not to forget the sacrifices of Pakistan in the fight against terrorism. “Pakistan has so far suffered a loss of $68 billion in fighting terrorism,” he added.
He said Pakistan was promised for capacity building but only a meagre support was extended in that regard. He appreciated President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani for providing Rs5 billion to enhance the efficiency of law enforcement agencies in Sindh.
To a question about the acquittal of Raymond Davis, the minister said that Ministry of Interior had no role in it and the jail, where he was detained, was in Punjab. He added that certain legal aspects were used.
To a question about the visit of a Chinese delegation, he said that several areas including cooperation in the fight against terrorism, capacity building, drug smuggling and other issues would be discussed with the Chinese Deputy Prime Minister and other officials at high level.
He said that the ongoing operation in Karachi was successful, which was because of coordination among Rangers, Police and Frontier Constabulary. He said the government was determined to eliminate terrorism and the future of Pakistan was safe due to the unity of whole nation against this menace. “Any aggression from outside or mischievous activity from inside will not be tolerated. Sovereignty of Pakistan will never be compromised and every one will stand with Pakistan Army and law enforcement agencies to counter any challenge,” he added.
To a query, he said that it was also under consideration to declare Motorway a federal territory so that checking or search can be made after stopping any suspected vehicle. The minister thanked to the youth of Islamabad as well as those transporters who are cooperating with Islamabad Police due to which several arrests have been made through them.
The minister said some terrorists wanted to disrupt peace of the city by attacking important buildings and information regarding them would be shared with media after their arrest.