Lack of financial support
Waseem was disturbed before Magramo fight
KARACHI: World Boxing Council (WBC) silver flyweight world champion Mohammad Waseem on Tuesday disclosed that he was disturbed due to lack of sponsorship before entering his title defence fight against Giemel Magramo of the Philippines in Seoul.
“I was really disturbed because of the sponsorship issue. But thanks God I emerged victorious,” Waseem told ‘The News’. “It’s natural when you are not getting something indispensable for you,” the boxer said.
He said that his opponent was a tough one.
Waseem defeated Magramo in a 12-round bloody fight on November 27 to retain his title. He received a few cuts during the fight.
Waseem had grabbed the title on July 17 in the same city when he prevailed over Jether Oliva of the Philippines.
Waseem said that he would need at least Rs100 million to prepare for fighting for the world title. “If I get three or four major sponsors, it will not be difficult for me to grab the world title,” Waseem said.
It is not yet known when Waseem will be fighting for the world crown.
Waseem may opt to play a few more bouts before taking up the biggest challenge of his life.
Waseem turned pro early last year and has won all his five bouts.
He spent over a decade in the amateur circle in which he won a silver and a bronze medal in the Commonwealth Games and bronze in the 2014 Asian Games.
Waseem picked Asiad medal for his country after a long wait of 12 years.
On Monday night, Waseem was warmly received by his friends in Islamabad.
He told reporters that he had worked hard for the fight and the outcome was as per his expectations. “I had worked hard for the fight and when you prepare well you achieve your goal,” Waseem said.
His success came through a unanimous decision.
Waseem thanked businessman Javed Afridi for offering his support for his future fights. “I am very thankful to Afridi for the support he has offered. It will help me prepare for my next assignment,” the 2014 Incheon Asian Games bronze medallist said.
Afridi the other day announced Rs2.5 million for Waseem who trained for a couple of months for the fight against Magramo in Las Vegas.
-
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75 -
Prince Edward Praised After Andrew's Arrest: 'Scandal-free Brother' -
Shawn Levy Recalls Learning Key Comedy Tactic In 'The Pink Panther' -
King Charles Fears More Trouble As Monarchy Faces Growing Pressure -
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again