New Zealand ferry that ran aground is refloated
SYDNEY: A ferry between New Zealand’s two main islands that ran aground on Friday night was successfully refloated late on Saturday, the government of the Pacific nation said.
Operated by state-owned enterprise KiwiRail, the Interislander Aratere ferry ran aground in Picton Harbour on the north coast of the South Island. It had been due to travel to Wellington on the North Island but, according to media reports, hit the shore after a steering failure.
There were no injuries although 47 people had to spend the night aboard, local media reported, in an incident the government described as “very concerning”.
Transport Minister Simeon Brown said late on Saturday that the Aratere had “been pulled off the shore and is now floating”.
“The vessel will now be anchored in the Picton Harbour as it is safely retrieved and further checks are undertaken,” Brown said on X, formerly Twitter.
Interislander management said divers that checked the ferry found minimal damage and determined the vessel was water-tight, Radio New Zealand reported on Sunday.
KiwiRail says the fleet ferries nearly 800,000 passengers across the Cook Strait, which separates the country’s North and South Islands, each year.
A ferry ran aground in New Zealand during an island crossing, but there were no injuries although 47 people unable to disembark had to spend the night aboard in an incident the government described on Saturday as “very concerning”.Operated by state-owned enterprise KiwiRail, the Interislander Aratere ferry ran aground in Friday’s incident near the town of Picton, on the north coast of the South Island.
-
Eric Dane's Girlfriend Janell Shirtcliff Pays Him Emotional Tribute After ALS Death -
King Charles Faces ‘stuff Of The Nightmares’ Over Jarring Issue -
Sarah Ferguson Has ‘no Remorse’ Over Jeffrey Epstein Friendship -
A$AP Rocky Throws Rihanna Surprise Birthday Dinner On Turning 38 -
Andrew Jokes In Hold As BAFTA Welcomes Prince William -
Sam Levinson Donates $27K To Eric Dane Family Fund After Actor’s Death -
Savannah Guthrie Mother Case: Police Block Activist Mom Group Efforts To Search For Missing Nancy Over Permission Row -
Dove Cameron Calls '56 Days' Casting 'Hollywood Fever Dream' -
Prince William, Kate Middleton ‘carrying Weight’ Of Reputation In Epstein Scandal -
Timothée Chalamet Compares 'Dune: Part Three' With Iconic Films 'Interstellar', 'The Dark Knight' & 'Apocalypse Now' -
Little Mix Star Leigh-Anne Pinnock Talks About Protecting Her Children From Social Media -
Ghislaine Maxwell Is ‘fall Guy’ For Jeffrey Epstein, Claims Brother -
Timothee Chalamet Rejects Fame Linked To Kardashian Reality TV World While Dating Kylie Jenner -
Sarah Chalke Recalls Backlash To 'Roseanne' Casting -
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75