Govt ‘restrains’ Friday prayers to contain virus spread
Ag Agencies
ISLAMABAD: The federal government has decided to “restrain” Friday congregational prayers in a fresh attempt to contain the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, as the country’s Covid-19 cases reached 1,138.
“It has been decided with a consensus that Friday prayers will be ‘restrained’,” said Minister for Religious Affairs Dr Noor-ul-Haq Qadri during a news conference on Thursday. He was flanked by Minister for Planning Asad Umar, Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Health Dr Zafar Mirza, Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Information and Broadcasting Firdous Awan and National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) Chairman Lt-Gen Mohammad Afzal. This came as the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in Pakistan leapt to 1,138, as more cases were reported from all provinces and territories of the country. In the presser, Qadri said: “Only the administration staff of mosques and a limited number of worshippers will be allowed to pray inside.” He, however, carefully clarified that the mosques “will not be closed”.
The minister said the decision had been taken in consultation with religious scholars belonging to various schools of thought. “The Ulema have been told to tell people to pray at their homes,” he said. “It is not only the job of the government to control coronavirus but also of the people.”
Regarding the status of this year’s Hajj, Qadri said the government was in constant touch with the Saudi foreign office. “Saudi authorities have asked us not to take any final steps [regarding Hajj agreement]
before they give the green signal,” he said.
Qadri added Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman will take the final decision after consulting with heads of various Islamic countries.
The centre’s tepid approach was in contrast with the Sindh government, which took a step further and imposed restrictions on all congregational prayers — including Friday’s — in mosques across the province from March 27 (today) till April 5. The announcement was made by Sindh information minister Syed Nasir Hussain Shah. “Only three to five people will be allowed to offer prayers in mosques,” he said.
Later, provincial government spokesperson Murtaza Wahab confirmed Shah’s announcement and said the decision had been taken after consultation with medical experts and Ulema from all sects.
In separate measures, the federal government decided to prolong the closure of all educational institutions across the country until May 31, following a National Coordination Committee. Briefing the media after the meeting, planning minister Asad Umar said the government was actively monitoring the situation and taking precautionary measures to curb the spread of the virus.
With regards to news about the shortage of wheat or flour, Umar said at present some 1.7 million metric tonnes of wheat was available in stock while new crop was ready to yield, which would be procured by the government. Umar acceded some elements were reportedly hoarding edible commodities, but gave assurances that stern action would be taken against such elements.
Regarding transportation issues and problems of fuel supplies in some areas of the country, the minister said the issue would be discussed in Friday’s meeting for sorting out a solution to ensure smooth fuel supplies. When he spoke, NDMA Chairman Lt-Gen Mohammad Afzal said the Chinese government is sending a “walk-through” testing machine to diagnose Covid-19. He said it would be helpful to diagnose a large number of people, especially areas where testing facilities are not available. The machine will arrive in the country in week.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'