Osaka ‘proud’ of WTA handling of Peng Shuai case
MELBOURNE: Four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka said Monday that players were eager for news on the fate of Peng Shuai but praised the Women’s Tennis Association’s hardline stance with China.
Peng, a former Wimbledon and French Open doubles champion, alleged on social media in November that former vice-premier Zhang Gaoli forced her into sex during a long-term on-off relationship.
It was the first time that the #MeToo movement had touched China’s ruling Communist Party but Peng’s online post was deleted and her claims censored, then she disappeared from public, only to reappear three weeks later.
However, there remain doubts about how free Peng really is and the women’s tennis tour last month suspended tournaments in China given its “serious doubts” about her safety. “For me, I haven’t heard any news. I’m not sure if that’s concerning or not,” said Japan’s Osaka, after moving into the second round of the Australian Open.
“But I think the WTA, the whole organisation, they handled it really well. I’m really proud of them. “I feel like it’s a situation where we need more information, which is definitely really hard. Kind of I think everyone is waiting.”
On Saturday, world number three Garbine Muguruza said she feared the “real truth” about what happened to Peng — who is not in Melbourne — may never be known. “It seemed like for a moment, okay, we’re going to find out what’s happening,” she said. “I think it’s going to be very difficult to find a real truth and for her to be able to talk freely.”
-
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Eva Mendes Shared Bedroom Photos For Ryan Gosling On Valentine’s -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show