Sh Rashid apologises for temporarily suspending WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram
ISLAMABAD: Minister for Interior Sheikh Rashid on Friday apologised for the government's move to shut down social media services temporarily across the country, saying it was done keeping in mind the masses' best interest.
The interior minister said WhatsApp, Instagram, and Facebook were suspended across the country as the government feared the members of a proscribed organisation would call for protests after Friday prayers.
Rashid said the government had defeated those spreading terrorism and inciting violence in the country, adding that the government would try to ensure people were not caused any further inconveniences related to social media.
"The ones who stopped oxygen [vans] and ambulances [from reaching hospitals during protests] were defeated today. We have banned them [the proscribed organisation] and we will move for their dissolution as well," he said.
The government will block their passports, identity cards, and bank accounts too, the interior minister added. Services of social media platforms Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp and Telegram were restored in the country earlier in the day after being suspended for four hours.
Earlier today, the interior ministry had directed the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) to block social media platforms from 11am till 3pm. The suspension came amid protests by a religious party in the country which led to chaos and the killing of three people, including two policemen.
The protests, organised in different cities, also caused massive traffic jams and distress to the citizens The request by the interior ministry to suspend the social media platforms was made in a letter sent to the PTA chairman. The ministry, in the letter, had requested the PTA to take action on the issue "immediately".
"In order to maintain public order and safety, access to certain social media applications has been restricted temporarily," PTA had said in its explanation regarding the suspension of services.
-
Prince Harry’s Fears About Queen Camilla Come To Light: ‘She’s Poisoning Charles’ Head’ -
Workday Shares Soar As AI Demand Mitigates Investor Concerns -
Use AI Or Lose Your Job, Warns Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang -
Anne Hathaway Shares Hilarious Reality Of Raising Two Boys -
Meta Launches Forum App To Challenge Reddit With Facebook Community Push -
Jessie J Gives Heart-warming Health Update: ‘cancer-free’ -
Matt Damon Gushes Over Charlize Theron’s Beauty: ‘genetic Lottery’ -
Karen Spencer Breaks Silence After Ex-husband Charles Spencer Fourth Marriage -
UK City Releases Letter Against Ex Prince Andrew: ‘A Profound Disappointment!’ -
Queen Camilla Turns Single Minded: ‘It’s A Personal Mission To Erase Harry, Meghan From Royal Life Entirely’ -
Phil Collins Reveals Fate Of Career Amid Dire Health Issues -
Abbey Romeo Reveals Where She Stands With David Isaacman After Shocking Split -
Meta Layoffs Spark ‘Squid Game’ Culture Claims By Ex-employee -
House Republicans Cancel Vote To Rein In Trump’s Military Campaign In Iran -
'Brilliant' Kate Middleton Makes Prince William Proud -
SpaceX Starship Launch Delayed Again: Here’s What Went Wrong