US jobless claims fall in sign of labour market strength
WASHINGTON: The number of Americans filing applications for unemployment benefits fell sharply last week, suggesting the labour market was holding firm despite a manufacturing slowdown and concerns the economy is on a path toward recession, Reuters reported.
Initial claims for state unemployment benefits dropped 12,000 to a seasonally adjusted 209,000 for the week ended Aug. 17, the Labor Department said on Thursday. The decline was sharper than expected. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast claims would drop to 216,000 in the latest week.
U.S. stock index futures held onto gains following the data’s publication. The four-week moving average of initial claims, considered a better measure of labor market trends as it irons out week-to-week volatility, edged up 500 to 214,500 last week.
Last week’s claims data falls during the same week the Labor Department conducts surveys used to estimate national employment during the month of August.The four-week average for new unemployment benefits claims was lower than the corresponding week in July, a positive signal for employment during the month.
There are few signs a bitter trade war between the United States and China was spilling over to the national labor market, although growth in manufacturing jobs has slowed this year. While hiring has cooled, the pace of job gains remains well above the roughly 100,000 needed per month to keep up with growth in the working-age population.
The trade war has fueled concerns among investors that a recession looms over the U.S. economy. Some yields on shorter-term Treasury debt have risen above longer-term yields, a development viewed as a classic recession signal.
Concerns over the impact of the trade tensions between Washington and Beijing on the U.S. economic expansion, the longest on record, prompted the Federal Reserve to cut interest rates last month for the first time since 2008.
At the same time, minutes for last month’s Fed policy meeting released on Wednesday suggested policymakers were divided over the cut and did not want to give the appearance that they were planning further rate reductions.
Thursday’s claims report also showed the number of people receiving benefits after an initial week of aid fell 54,000 to 1.67 million for the week ended Aug. 10. The four-week moving average of the so-called continuing claims fell 750 to 1.70 million.
-
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’