Algerian PM urges calm ahead of anti-Bouteflika demos
Algeria’s new prime minister sought to calm tensions on Thursday ahead of planned demonstrations that could be decisive for the protest movement calling for President Abdelaziz Bouteflika to step down.
Noureddine Bedoui was speaking ahead of the first round of Friday rallies since Bouteflika’s surprise announcement earlier this week that he would not seek re-election but was cancelling April polls.
The new premier warned that the situation in the North African country was "sensitive". People "must show calm and act peacefully," Bedoui said, calling for "dialogue" to resolve the situation.
Bouteflika, 82, initially sparked joy among protesters when he said he would not stand for a fifth term in next month’s election, but his move to cancel the vote prompted accusations of "tricks" and sparked a new round of demonstrations.
Friday’s protests will be a key test of whether the ailing president’s manoeuvre has dampened anger on the streets. Bouteflika also said he was replacing unpopular premier Ahmed Ouyahia with former interior minister Bedoui, who on Thursday defended the postponement of the poll, seen by many as unconstitutional.
"There is nothing above the will of the people," he said. The protest movement has been led by students, in a country where half the population is under the age of 30 and youth unemployment has spurred anger against a government seen as out of touch.
Bedoui vowed to create an administration of technocrats, including young men and women. "We have heard the message of the Algerian youth," he said, adding that the new government would be revealed by next week at the latest.
Bouteflika has promised a "national conference" to carry out reforms and set a date for new elections "before the end of 2019", suggesting he may stay in office for another year. Incoming Deputy Prime Minister Ramtane Lamamra, who appeared alongside Bedoui at a Thursday press conference in Algiers, told state radio the previous evening that the conference should happen "as soon as possible".
"The absolute priority is to reunite the Algerians and allow them to go together towards a better future," he said. "It’s not about staying in power for a few weeks or a few months more." Lakhdar Brahimi, a veteran diplomat and former UN envoy for Syria, on Wednesday denied having been appointed as head of the proposed conference. "I cannot say no (if asked to serve) but I would prefer if they find a man or a woman better than me" for the job, he said in remarks on state television.
-
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Eva Mendes Shared Bedroom Photos For Ryan Gosling On Valentine’s -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show