Earthquake funds: Balakot residents to move apex court
MANSEHRA: The residents of Balakot will move the Supreme Court to become a party to the case about alleged embezzlement of $5 billion financial assistance donated by the international community for the rehabilitation of the 2005 earthquake survivors.
Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Mian Saqib Nisar had taken a suo moto notice of the alleged embezzlement of $5 billion earlier this month on a written petition moved by a social activist from Mansehra, Sheraz Mehmood Qureshi, pleading an inquiry in the matter.
The Supreme Court had fixed March 26 (today) for hearing the suo moto notice and summoned attorney general of Pakistan, advocate general Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and director general Earthquake Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority to come to the court along with relevant documents.
The residents will move the SC through Munir Hussain Laghmani, former president of district bar association.
Laghmani, hailing from Balakot, said that people of his native town lauded the CJ for taking suo moto notice, saying that over 12 years had passed since the devastating earthquake and survivors were still living in makeshift shelters in miserable condition.
“The government had collected over $5 billion but the survivors here are still without their due rights as New Balakot City housing project is still in the doldrums,” said Laghmani.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France