Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

Sports

January 7, 2015
Advertisement

‘England Squash should ban its own players now’

Sports

January 7, 2015

Share

KARACHI: Pakistan’s squash fraternity has demanded that England Squash and Racketball (ESR) should ban all English players for one year for not playing a number of plate events in British Junior Open 2015.
English players gave away 10 walkovers to their opponents in different matches of under-19, under-17, and under-15 categories in BJO 2015 edition. “They banned Pakistan for a similar reason for one year, now they should up hold the rules and regulations and ban their own players too,” legendary squash player Qamar Zaman told ‘The News’.
It is worth adding here that England Squash and Racketball did not allow any Pakistani player to play the 2014 edition of the championship because they were found avoiding plate events in the 2013 edition of the event. The rule they have mentioned on their website is that “all categories will be run on a Monrad basis (maximum draw size of 64).
“Monrad draws will be played out in full to a finishing position. ALL players are required to play ALL matches. If you are unable/unwilling to comply with this regulation you should NOT enter the tournament.”
Pakistani players were allowed to send entries for the 2015 edition of the championship on the request of Pakistan Squash Federation (PSF).
But this year English players violated the same rule. According to the details, in under-19 category Alejandro Sotelo of Spain was given walkover against Robert Pearce; Jorge Rodriguez of Mexico got walkover against Josh Turmel; Syed Anas Ghanzanfar of Pakistan given walkover against Josh Turmel; Junald Thoker of India; and there was no match held between Robert Pearce and Josh Turmel.
Similarly, Ziad Sakr of Egypt got walkover against Harry Falconer in under-17 category. In the under-15 category, Mohd HaffizMohd Arif of Malaysia got walkover Nicholas Wall; Lewis Anderson of England was given walkover against Logan Montone; Jack Mitterer of England given walkover Logan Montone; and Tushar Shahani of India

got walkover against Nicholas Wall.
“ESR should do justice and must ban all English players from participating in the 2016 edition of the BJO because it had done the same with Pakistani players. This is simply a matter of treating all squash players of the world equally,” reasoned Qamar.
Qamar had already termed the banning of Pakistani players a childish decision. “I was very disappointed to hear that news. This was an impulsive decision to damage Pakistan’s squash that is already suffering due to many factors,” he stressed.
Only those, he added, who skipped the plate events in 2013 should have been banned. “This was unjustifiable. Why should other squash players suffer for the mistakes of a few? England Squash set a bad precedent. Now, they have to compensate and ban all English players from the next edition of the championship,” he added.
Qamar said that ban blocked the way of new talent because there were so many talented players preparing for the tournament.
It is to be noted that Pakistani players have won as many as 12 titles at the British Junior Open since 1999.

Advertisement

Comments

Advertisement

Topstory

Opinion

Newspost

Editorial

National

World

Sports

Business

Karachi

Lahore

Islamabad

Peshawar