South Africa’s Klaasen retires from international cricket
JOHANNESBURG: South African batsman-wicketkeeper Heinrich Klaasen announced on Monday that he was retiring from international cricket.
The big-hitting Klaasen, 33, earned a reputation as one of the most destructive batsmen in white-ball cricket. “Playing for the Proteas gave me the opportunity to meet great people who changed my life,” Klaasen said in a statement issued by Cricket South Africa.
Klaasen scored 2141 runs at an average of 43.69 in 60 one-day internationals, maintaining a strike rate of 117.05. His highest score of 174 was made off 83 balls against Australia at Centurion in 2023.
He scored 1000 runs at a strike rate of 141.84 in 58 Twenty20 internationals. He also played in four Test matches before he retired from red-ball cricket in 2024. His ability to score quickly made him a sought-after player in franchise competitions around the world.
He was signed by Indian Premier League team Sunrisers Hyderabad for a record 23 crore (US$2.69-million) for the 2025 season. He is expected to continue to be available for franchise cricket. Enoch Nkwe, South Africa´s director national teams, described Klaasen as “a true match-winner for South Africa. He was capable of changing the course of a game in a matter of overs.”
Klaasen was not among the players awarded a Cricket South Africa contract in April and the governing body said at the time that discussions regarding his future were ongoing. South African coach Shukri Conrad said after being appointed white-ball coach last month in addition to his role as Test coach, that he expected players to prioritise playing for South Africa above T20 leagues.
-
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Eva Mendes Shared Bedroom Photos For Ryan Gosling On Valentine’s -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show