Rs40bn Kohistan scandal: Rs1.59bn currency, dollars, gold recovered
Among those under investigation are senior govt officials and contractors, as authorities intensify and expand scope of probe
PESHAWAR: In a dramatic breakthrough in the Rs40 billion financial scandal in Kohistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP), investigators have recovered a staggering Rs1.59 billion in Pakistani currency, US dollars and gold during raids on the residences of key suspects.
Among those under investigation are senior government officials and contractors, as authorities intensify and expand the scope of the probe.
The Kohistan scandal was first reported on April 30, which caused a stir across the country. The audit also confirmed the corruption, and the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) is taking action on the scandal.
According to sources, raids have been conducted at the homes of 12 suspects involved in one of the largest financial scandals in Pakistan’s history. Their names are being kept confidential for now to avoid any obstruction in the investigation and recovery.
So far, about 50 individuals have been questioned, and the inquiry is being expanded to cover another 100 people. Major revelations — including the identities of key figures at the center of the scandal — are expected to come to the surface in the coming days.
Sources said that raids were carried out at the homes and offices of 12 officers, officials, and contractors in various cities of Hazara Division, including Abbottabad, Mansehra, and others.
Three kilograms of gold were recovered from the homes of three individuals, while $50,000 were recovered from one house. In total, Pakistani currency is worth Rs1.5 billion has been recovered from the homes of 12 suspects so far. The value of the three kilograms of gold recovered from three homes is estimated to be more than Rs80 million. Similarly, the $50,000 amount to approximately Rs1.39 million in Pakistani currency. Thus, a total recovery of Rs1.59 billion has been made, while Rs10 billion in 50 frozen bank accounts had already been secured earlier. Those from whose homes recoveries were made include officials from C&W, the District Accounts Office, and government bank staff and officers. Similarly, cash has also been recovered from the homes of some contractors.
-
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis