2nd phase of Malir Expressway to be opened for traffic next month: Ghani
Sindh Local Government Minister Saeed Ghani said the second phase of the under-construction Shahrah-e-Bhutto Expressway (Malir Expressway) from Karachi Airport to Quaidabad will be opened for vehicular traffic next month.
He announced this on Tuesday while briefing media persons while inspecting phase two of the expressway. Ghani said a fully completed expressway having a length of 36 kilometres, whose construction cost is Rs54 billion, would be opened for traffic by December this year.
He informed journalists that the second phase of the expressway was 15 kilometres long, including a four-kilometre-long overhead bridge. He said the largest girders in the construction history of Karachi were being used to build this overhead bridge.
The local government minister recalled that earlier it had been announced that the second phase of the expressway would be completed by March this year. The completion of phase had been delayed due to slowed construction during Ramazan-ul-Mubarak and upcoming Eidul Fitr holidays. He assured media persons that the entire expressway would be completed by December 2025. He said the completion of the second phase would facilitate traffic going to the Malir and Thatta areas.
Answering a question, he said the stage hadn't come for the Pakistan Peoples Party ruling in Sindh to take to the streets to protest against the construction of new canals on the Indus River. He said the PPP had opposed the plan to construct new canals at every relevant forum. He said the PPP had a clear-cut stance against the project.
Ghani said the PPP wouldn't allow the construction of new canals as it wouldn't just create a water shortage in Sindh but would also cause irrigation problems for the existing farmlands in Punjab. He said there was no valid cause available to construct the new canals. He said the PPP would continue to use every legal and constitutional forum to oppose the plan to build new canals. He, however, said the PPP would avoid confrontation on this issue with the centre.
The minister said the federal government had also sensed the gravity of the situation regarding the construction of new canals as the federal ministers had announced holding talks with the PPP on this issue. He said the relevant authorities shouldn't implement the plan to build canals due to a lack of consensus on this issue. He recalled that earlier consensus hadn't been developed on the controversial Kalabagh Dam project.
-
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Harper Beckham Sends Valentine’s Love Amid Brooklyn Family Drama -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’