April 24, 2016Print : Top Story
NEW DELHI: Amid conflicting reports about the status of India-Pakistan talks, the Indian government has clarified that dialogue between the two countries has not been suspended.
High-level talks between the neighbours have been suspended since January, when India postponed scheduled meetings on Kashmir and other problems after an attack on an Indian air force base that killed seven soldiers.
Adviser to the Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz had earlier this week said the talks had not been cancelled even though these could be called suspended as there had been no engagement between the two countries since the Pathankot attack.
Indian Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesman Vikas Swarup has said the dialogue had not been suspended and that the visit by the JIT to Pathankot had taken place in a very "constructive and cooperative" environment. “We welcome cooperation to combat terrorism in all its forms,” he added. Swarup stressed that the dialogue process with Islamabad "has not been suspended."
While the Pakistan foreign office had said that there was still no official request from India for a return visit by NIA to Pakistan.
Swarup said New Delhi will consider taking the next step at an appropriate time. On the status of Indo-Pak dialogue, Swarup said, “Multiple conversations have been held between India and Pakistan at multiple levels including at the level of the two prime ministers who spoke to each other quite recently.’’ He was also asked about the safety and security of Indian prisoners in Pakistani jails and whether the issue has been raised with Pakistan in view of Kirpal’s death.