close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

Entertainment

Web Desk
September 23, 2020

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle faced a major blow after being stripped of ‘royal’ label

Entertainment

Web Desk
Wed, Sep 23, 2020

Following their exit, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have suffered through a significant loss, particularly through their Sussex Royal brand.

After Queen Elizabeth II decided to strip the pair of their royal titles, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were barred from using their previously-owned label.

This happened after Harry and Meghan had already filled out the Sussex Royal trademark application, which was withdrawn after the monarch’s decision was made public.

This undoubtedly came as a huge blow for the Prince Harry who has held the royal title since his birth.

In conversation with Radio 4, royal author Robert Hardman said that this was a ‘setback’ for the duke and duchess.

“They have spent a great deal of money registering the trademarks. While the Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organisation, given the specific UK Government rules surrounding the use of the word royal, it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organisation will not be named Sussex Royal Foundation,” said Hardman.

“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ in any territory post-spring 2020,” he added.

Following the decision, the pair’s non-profit was given the name of Archewell after their son, Archie.