Former Chinese military chief of staff jailed for life over graft
BEIJING: A former chief of staff of China’s military was sentenced to life in prison, state media said Wednesday, after he was swept up in President Xi Jinping’s ongoing anti-graft crackdown.
Appointed to the People’s Liberation Army’s top post in 2012, Fang Fenghui was convicted of accepting and offering bribes, and having an unclear source of a huge amount of assets, official news agency Xinhua reported. A military court sentenced Fang to life in prison, stripped him of political rights for life, and ordered the confiscation of all his personal assets, Xinhua said.
Fang was abruptly replaced in August 2017 amid a stand-off with India over a territorial dispute, and just days after he had met the US top brass to discuss North Korea. The general was transferred to the military prosecution authority on suspicion of bribery in January of last year, state media reported at the time. Fang was one of two senior generals who did not appear on a list of delegates to the Communist Party’s twice-a-decade congress in October 2017, sparking speculation he had run afoul of Xi’s anti-corruption campaign.
The other, Zhang Yang, committed suicide in Beijing later that year after being investigated over connections to two graft-tainted former senior military officers. Xi has pledged to continue the anti-corruption crackdown, which since 2012 has brought down 1.5 million party officials at various levels -- including top military leaders. Corruption has long been an intractable problem for the country, but many experts argue that the campaign has the hallmarks of a political purge as the Chinese president consolidates his power. Xi has sought to enhance his control over China’s two-million-strong military, the world’s largest, reshuffling its leadership and vowing to make it "world-class" by 2050. The military was ordered to pledge to be "absolutely loyal, honest and reliable to Xi" in new guidelines released by the Central Military Commission in 2017. All of Fang’s recovered assets will be turned over to the state treasury, Xinhua said.
-
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Harper Beckham Sends Valentine’s Love Amid Brooklyn Family Drama -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’