Turkey protests US observation posts’ plan in north Syria
ISTANBUL: Turkey on Saturday sharply criticised a US plan to put observation posts in northern Syria so as to help prevent clashes between Turkish forces and a Kurd militia backed by Washington.
"I am of the opinion that these measures will only complicate further an already complicated situation," said Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar, quoted by state-run news agency Anadolu.
"We have told our American counterparts about our unease several times," Akar said, noting that he recently raised the issue with Joe Dunford, head of the US joint chiefs of staff.
US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis said Wednesday that Washington wanted the observation posts along Syria´s northern border with Turkey to help minimise tensions between the Turks and Washington´s Kurdish allies in the fight against the Islamic State group. The aim was to ensure the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which includes the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia, "are not drawn off that fight." "They will be very clearly marked locations day and night so that the Turks know where they´re at," he said, noting that the decision was taken in close cooperation with Turkey.
Akar, again urging Washington to halt support for the YPG, said the observation posts would serve no use. Turkey "will not hesitate to take the necessary measures on the other side of its borders to face up to the risks and threats which could result," he added.
The SDF announced on November 11 it would resume its offensive against IS after having previously called it off due to tensions with Turkey, which had shelled its positions in northern Syria. Syria´s long-oppressed Kurdish minority has established a semi-autonomous region in the north of the country, which has been wracked by conflict since 2011. Turkey refuses to recognise the territory on its border, fearing it will stoke the separatist ambitions of Kurds in its own country.
-
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Harper Beckham Sends Valentine’s Love Amid Brooklyn Family Drama -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’