Mani slams Sarfraz’s ban
KARACHI: Bureaucracy beat out common sense in the ICC’s punishment of Sarfaraz Ahmed. That is the pithy assessment of Ehsan Mani, the PCB chairman, who believes the governing body need not have charged Sarfraz once apologies had been publicly made and accepted.
Sarfraz was handed a four-match ban by the ICC for a breach of the Anti-Racism code, bringing an end to a saga that began with a taunt of Andile Phehlukwayo during the second ODI in Durban that included a racial element.
To some surprise, the PCB expressed its disappointment with the decision to charge Sarfaraz, but Mani expanded on the circumstances behind the sentiment. Sarfraz had apologised publicly several times in the aftermath, and eventually face-to-face to Phehlukwayo. Apologies, Mani said, had been conveyed publicly, at board level, at the manager’s level as well as by the player.
The PCB were also unhappy about the time it took to charge Sarfraz, a period in which the issue festered and indeed the two teams - Pakistan still led by Sarfaraz - played the third ODI. The incident took place on Tuesday and Sarfaraz wasn’t charged until Saturday night. His punishment was made public not by the ICC but by Faf du Plessis at the toss for the fourth ODI on Sunday. Part of the reason it took that long, however, is because it is a formal legal process, involving a number of parties taking decisions on a serious matter.
“This is my issue that they sat on it,” Mani said. “Our statements and apologies were public. This is not something you brush under the table, it has to be dealt with openly and transparently. We did all of that. But because ICC couldn’t get the two players in a room together, they said let’s charge him. And that to my mind is utter nonsense. “Why this bureaucratic process that it didn’t go exactly according to the book in terms of reconciliation with an ICC mediator? We don’t need an ICC mediator. So very seriously, we will push on this because somewhere common sense was overruled by bureaucratic process.”
Mani didn’t play down the seriousness of the incident and is planning to speak to Sarfraz. The incident has sparked off speculation about the future of Sarfraz’s captaincy and though the line is - as it has been for a while - that the captain remains a series by series appointment, Mani said it was “too soon” to think about that.
-
'Euphoria' Star Eric Made Deliberate Decision To Go Public With His ALS Diagnosis: 'Life Isn't About Me Anymore' -
Toy Story 5 Trailer Out: Woody And Buzz Faces Digital Age -
Andrew’s Predicament Grows As Royal Lodge Lands In The Middle Of The Epstein Investigation -
Rebecca Gayheart Unveils What Actually Happened When Ex-husband Eric Dane Called Her To Reveal His ALS Diagnosis -
What We Know About Chris Cornell's Final Hours -
Scientists Uncover Surprising Link Between 2.7 Million-year-old Climate Tipping Point & Human Evolution -
NASA Takes Next Step Towards Moon Mission As Artemis II Moves To Launch Pad Operations Following Successful Fuel Test -
GTA 6 Price Leaked Online Ahead Of Rockstar Announcement -
Eric Dane Got Honest About His Struggle With ALS In Final Public Appearance: 'No Reason To Be In A Good Spirit' -
Google AI Overviews And Mental Health: Why Experts Say It’s ‘very Dangerous’ -
Prince Harry Issues A Statement For His 'incredible' WellChild Children -
5 Famous Celebrities Who Beat Cancer -
Spinosaurus Mirabilis: New Species Ready To Take Center Stage At Chicago Children’s Museum In Surprising Discovery -
ByteDance Expands Artificial Intelligence Operations In US -
Angelina Jolie’s Breast Cancer Surgeon Appreciates Her For Calling Scars 'a Choice': 'They Are Choices To Survive' -
Detective Chief Inspector Reveals How Andrew Got Treated In Police Custody