Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

Career counselling; questions and answers


January 13, 2020

Q1: Respected sir, I wish to pursue Aircraft Engineering degree from a recognised university in Dubai. Can you please let me know which institution is offering such degree and is it recognised? I would be thankful to your help.

(Fawad Muneer, Karachi)

Ans: You didn’t mention your current qualification. However, please note that all universities or degree awarding institutions in UAE are recognised /accredited by their ministry of higher education which you may visit for further information. I see that you have chosen a specialised subject area like Aeronautical Engineering or Aircraft Engineering. Therefore, please note that you have to have a strong grip on Math and Physics.

Q2: Dear Abidi sb, I am currently a student of BBA and do not wish to do masters in Finance after this degree. Right now my 6th semester is in process. Let me know what should I study in future and regarding any short courses? Also note that I am not willing to do any kind of bank related job. My GPA is 3.2. I look forward to your help.

(Jaffar Ali, Lahore)

Ans: As you are currently in your bachelor’s degree, you have many options to consider as a specialist subject area whether in HR, Marketing or Strategic/ Information Management. As you mentioned you are not interested in doing Finance degree; therefore, you can choose one of the above-mentioned specialist areas as a masters but it depends on which specialist subject you are more interested. However, you must understand that doing a finance degree does not mean that you are bound or restricted to only bank related jobs.

Q3: Dear Abidi sir, I did masters in English this year. I would be grateful if you can guide me where to apply for job after such degree?

(Nimrah Lateef, Multan)

Ans: There are many options which you can choose from after a Master’s in English especially in teaching English language. You only have to get some training material for competitive exams like TOEFL/IELTS. Thereafter, you can apply for jobs as teacher at different academies/schools.

Q4: Sir, I did Social Anthropology MA and English Literature MA (2 masters). Can you please suggest what should I do apart from teaching or research (PhD)? Any kind of diplomas or specialist subjects at Master’s level which you think would be helpful in securing a good job?

(Samra Gulzeb, Peshawar)

Ans: After going through your academic background I can say that you have an ideal combination of subjects at Master’s level. In my opinion, you can look for jobs at school /college levels for teaching. Moreover, you can consider doing a PhD in Anthropology which is very emerging and popular subject area especially for women. Furthermore, some specialist areas which I would recommend you to consider doing at research level include poverty elevation, development studies, gender studies etc. These are all very high in demand subjects for international NGOs like UNDP, UNO and UNESCO etc.

(Syed Azhar Husnain Abidi is a renowned educationist in Pakistan, with more than 20 years of experience as provider of education counselling services. He has represented Pakistan in over 100 national and international seminars, conferences and fora. He is a recipient of the most coveted civil award Tamgha-e-Imtiaz).