close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
AFP
March 3, 2019

Somalia vows crackdown against Al-Shabaab militants

World

AFP
March 3, 2019

MOGADISHU: At least 20 people died in an attack in the Somali capital Mogadishu, which saw Al-Shabaab insurgents battling security forces for nearly 24 hours before the siege ended, officials said on Saturday.

As the standoff ended, the government vowed to step up efforts to fight the Jihadists, with the deadly siege the latest in a long line of bombing and assaults claimed by the al-Qaeda-linked group.

"The Somali government will never stop its war on Al-Shabaab, our aim is to be done with them, whatever the cost," Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire told reporters late on Friday.

The premier also praised the courage of the elite soldiers who he said had rescued 35 civilians used as "human shields" by the assailants.

The attack began on Thursday evening at around 1800 GMT, when a Shabaab militant in a car blew himself up, causing a huge blast that ripped the front off a major hotel and left several cars in flames on the busy street.

Other fighters then stormed inside a building housing a restaurant, where they were quickly surrounded by police.

Medics pulled five bodies from the wreckage immediately after the explosion, but the recovery of more bodies was blocked for hours by the ensuing fighting.

Sporadic shooting continued until officials finally declared an end to the siege late on Friday afternoon.

"Our teams have recovered one more dead body after the operation was over and this makes the overall number of the confirmed dead 20," Aamin Ambulance director Abdikadir Abdirahman told AFP on Saturday.

At least 112 people were admitted to the city’s three main hospitals, medical sources said.

At a press conference, Somali security forces held up photos showing the alleged bodies of four of the attackers.

In a statement posted on a pro-Shabaab website, the militants confirmed that four of their number had been killed, adding that others had managed to escape. It said the fighters waged a "martyrdom-seeking" operation against a "luxury hotel inhabited by government officials and security service officers".

Topstory minus plus

Opinion minus plus

Newspost minus plus

Editorial minus plus

National minus plus

World minus plus

Sports minus plus

Business minus plus

Karachi minus plus

Lahore minus plus

Islamabad minus plus

Peshawar minus plus