Guay announces shock retirement after teammate’s frightening crash
LAKE LOUISE, Canada: Ski racer Erik Guay abruptly announced his retirement on Thursday saying his hasty exit from the sport was sparked by Canadian teammate Manuel Osborne-Paradis’s training crash a day earlier.
Osborne-Paradis fractured both his fibula and tibia leg bones after crashing heavily during a training run for Saturday’s World Cup season-opening downhill in Lake Louise.“It did have an impact, absolutely. I was starting just a few numbers after Manny yesterday when I heard that he’d crashed and he needed to be airlifted,” Guay told CBC Sports.
“I kind of put myself in his situation and I was just thinking, ‘Oh man, if that happened to me right now, I don’t know if I have the energy to go through that rehab process again.’“So I think that kind of helped me get over that edge.”
Guay and Osborne-Paradis had been hoping to represent Canada on their home snow in this weekend’s FIS World Cup downhill and super-G races at the resort in the Canadian Rockies.During his career, the 37-year-old Montreal native underwent a half dozen knee operations. More recently some troubling back pain forced him to miss the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics in South Korea.
Guay is one of Canada’s most decorated skiers, having competed in three Olympic Games. He finished his lengthy career with five victories across several speed disciplines over 231 World Cup starts.
He competed in the Winter Games in Turin, Vancouver and Sochi with his best result coming from the downhill in 2006 in Italy when he just missed the podium by finishing fourth.Guay won two gold at the World Championships, including a downhill win seven years ago at Garmish-Partenkirchen, Germany.
“Today is a bittersweet day as I close a chapter on what has been a significant part of my life,” Guay said. “(I spent) decades of striving to be the best ski racer in the world, representing my country around the globe and being a member of an incredible team.”After he was airlifted off the mountain, Osborne-Paradis was expected to undergo surgery.
-
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage -
Will Sarah Ferguson End Up In Police Questioning After Andrew’s Arrest? Barrister Answers -
Matthew McConaughey Gets Candid About AI Threat To Actors: 'Be Prepared' -
Hailey Bieber Shares How 16-month-old Son Jack Blues Is Already Following In Justin Bieber's Footsteps -
Zuckerberg Denies At LA Trial That 'Instagram Targets Kids' Amid Addiction Claims -
France Sees Record 102mn International Tourists In 2025