Sindh PA panel again summons DG NAB Sindh over ‘unfair’ comments
KARACHI: The Sindh Assembly’s Committee on Rules of Procedures and Privileges has again summoned the director general of the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in Sindh, Altaf Bawany, to appear before it on August 24 on a complaint related to his alleged "unfair" televised comments about MPAs on the issue of the National Accountability Ordinance.
The committee, which met on Wednesday with Parliamentary Affairs Minister Nisar Ahmed Khuhro in the chair, expressed its resentment that the NAB director general did not appear before the body.
The meeting was held on the complaint of ruling PPP MPA Ghulam Qadir Chandio regarding the televised comments of the NAB official about the “intentions” of members of the provincial assembly regarding the National Accountability Ordinance (NAO) 1999. The secretary of the Sindh Assembly informed the meeting that the NAB official could not appear owing to his preoccupation with different cases being heard by courts.
Khuhro said that the NAB official should have appeared before the committee as the meeting had been scheduled to begin at 2pm, and by that time the official should have become available. He said the NAB official did not adopt due procedures to duly apologise to the committee on his uncalled-for remarks regarding the MPAs.
He said the committee would be left with no option other than deciding the matter without further hearing the official in case he again chose to stay away from its meetings. Law Minister Ziaul Hassan Lanjar, who also attended the meeting, said the NAB official should have informed the meeting in writing about his preoccupation with court cases.
The next meeting of the house committee on rules of procedure and privileges will be held at 3pm on August 24, 2017. Later, talking to journalists, Khuhro said the Sindh Assembly had the prerogative to adopt any legislation for accountability. He said the opposition political parties were equally right to move the court against such legislation. He said it was yet to be seen what the court would decide on the law recently passed by the provincial assembly.
-
King Charles Holds Emergency Meeting After Andrew Arrest: 'Abdication Is Not Happening' -
Amazon Can Be Sued Over Sodium Nitrite Suicide Cases, US Court Rules -
'Vikings' Star Mourns Eric Dane's Death -
Patrick Dempsey Reveals Eric Dane's Condition In Final Days Before Death -
'Heartbroken' Nina Dobrev Mourns Death Of Eric Dane: 'He'll Be Deeply Missed' -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Arrest: What Happened When A Royal Was Last Tried? -
Alyssa Milano Expresses Grief Over Death Of 'Charmed' Co-star Eric Dane -
Prince William, Kate Middleton Camp Reacts To Meghan's Friend Remarks On Harry 'secret Olive Branch' -
Daniel Radcliffe Opens Up About 'The Wizard Of Oz' Offer -
Channing Tatum Reacts To UK's Action Against Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Brooke Candy Announces Divorce From Kyle England After Seven Years Of Marriage -
Piers Morgan Makes Meaningful Plea To King Charles After Andrew Arrest -
Sir Elton John Details Struggle With Loss Of Vision: 'I Can't See' -
Epstein Estate To Pay $35M To Victims In Major Class Action Settlement -
Virginia Giuffre’s Brother Speaks Directly To King Charles In An Emotional Message About Andrew -
Reddit Tests AI-powered Shopping Results In Search