Sun December 17, 2017
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

Top Story

AFP
&
A
APP
August 13, 2017

Share

Advertisement

Eight army men among 15 martyred in Quetta blast

Eight army men among 15 martyred in Quetta blast

QUETTA: As many as 15 people, including eight personnel of the Army and seven civilians, were martyred and 32 others sustained injuries when a powerful blast targeted a military vehicle in the Balochistan capital on Saturday night, officials said.

The blast occurred at a bus stop in Quetta and the area caught fire soon after the explosion.

A statement of the Pakistan Army said that the explosion targeted an on-duty vehicle and set several other vehicles on fire.

"Incendiary explosive was used. As a result, nearby vehicles caught fire and the 15 people, including seven civilians, were martyred," the statement said, adding that 25 people, including 15 civilians had been injured and taken to a military hospital.

Provincial Home Minister Sarfraz Bugti and government spokesman Anwarul Haq Kakar confirmed the death toll but put the number of wounded at 32.

Bugti said firefighters were working to put out the blaze.

The nature of the blast could not immediately be determined but an investigation was underway, Bugti said.

President Mamnoon Hussain and Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi strongly condemned the terror attack that took place in Quetta.

According to a PM Office statement, the prime minister
directed all the authorities concerned to provide best medical treatment to the injured people.

He expressed condolence at loss of innocent lives of the country men in the incident.

"We will continue to work to eliminate the menace of terrorism from our country," the prime minister reiterated. 

Meanwhile, Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) Qamar Javed Bajwa and former prime minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the attack.

The blast occurred two-day before Pakistan 70th Independence Day, and COAS said it was an attempt to mar celebrations.

"Our resolve won’t succumb to any challenge," he said in a statement.

The militants in past had carried out big attacks on Independence Day and other events of national importance.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility but Taliban and Islamic State militants had attacked Quetta city in the past. -- AFP/APP

Advertisement

Comments

Advertisement

In This Story

Topstory

Opinion

Newspost

Editorial

National

World

Sports

Business

Karachi

Lahore

Islamabad

Peshawar

Advertisement