Philippines, US test air defences as China seizes reef
PHILIPPINES: Missiles fired off the coast of the northern Philippines on Sunday as US and Filipino forces conducted their first integrated defence drills, hours after China said it had seized control of a reef claimed by Manila.
The Philippines and China have been engaged in months of confrontations over the South China Sea, which Beijing claims nearly in its entirety despite an international ruling that its assertion has no legal basis.
As many as 17,000 personnel are participating in the annual “Balikatan” exercises, which this year will simulate a “full-scale battle scenario” as the treaty allies seek to deter China´s ambitions in the disputed waterway.
Chinese state broadcaster CCTV on Saturday reported that the country´s coast guard had “implemented maritime control” over Tiexian Reef, also known as Sandy Cay, this month. The tiny sandbank, part of the Spratly Islands, lies near Thitu Island, also called Pag-asa and site of a Philippine military facility.
The Philippine government has yet to formally respond to the claim. In coastal Zambales province, hours north of the capital Manila, AFP journalists watched Sunday as the US Marine Corp´s new MADIS short-range air defence system knocked a pair of drones from the sky.
The coastal defence exercise saw MADIS work in concert with the Philippines´ SPYDER missile system, defending it from drone attack as it targeted simulated incoming cruise missiles. “MADIS is short-range. SPYDER is more of a medium-range capability (and they) both engaged different threats,” said Matthew Sladek, commander of the US 3rd Littoral Anti-Air Battalion.
“The more we work together, that only ... enhances our collective lethality.” Chinese warships have been spotted in waters near the Philippines since the Balikatan exercises kicked off last week.
The aircraft carrier Shandong on April 22 “was detected underway 2.23 nautical miles (about four kilometres) southwest” of the Philippines´ far northern Babuyan Island, the navy reported.
On Sunday, the Philippine Navy said three other vessels had been spotted a day before about 60 kilometres from Zambales. US defence secretary Pete Hegseth last month told an audience in Manila that the United States was “doubling down” on its alliance with the country, noting the necessity of deterrence “considering the threats from the Communist Chinese”.
Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun has since slammed the Balikatan exercises as a blow to regional stability. On Monday, Balikatan will continue with troops simulating defending against an enemy landing force along a stretch of southern Palawan island.
-
Alexandra Daddario, Andrew Form Part Ways After 3 Years Of Marriage -
Eric Dane Rejected Sex Symbol Label -
Avan Jogia Says Life With Fiancee Halsey Feels Like 'coming Home' -
Kate Middleton's Role In Handling Prince William And Harry Feud Revealed -
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
Taylor Swift Made Sure Jodie Turner-Smith's Little Girl Had A Special Day On 'Opalite' Music Video Set -
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff