Balochistan security situation alarming: CM
Govt is committed to reopening roads and maintaining its authority, says Sarfraz Bugti
QUETTA: Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Sarfraz Bugti says the security situation in Balochistan is alarming, stating that terrorists will not be allowed to control even an inch of land for more than three hours.
Speaking to the media on Sunday during the inauguration of a Ramazan relief program at the PDMA office in Quetta, where 250,000 families are to receive 48kg ration bags, the chief minister said all commissioners in the province had been directed to ensure transparent distribution of rations in consultation with the members of parliament.
Bugti highlighted that while the federal and Punjab governments had adopted effective methods of providing aid directly to the bank accounts, Balochistan’s remote areas lacked access to the modern facilities, including banks, making such methods unfeasible.
Addressing the issue of protests and road blockades, the chief minister said while protesting was a right, blocking national highways was unacceptable. He also reiterated that the government will not tolerate the blocking of national highways, as it disrupted the lives of patients, elders and the general public.
The government is committed to reopening roads and maintaining its authority, as it has done in the past, including in Gwadar.
Responding to criticism from opposition leaders Fazlur Rehman and National Assembly Opposition Leader Omar Ayub, who claimed that some districts were considering declaring independence, he said, “The security situation is indeed alarming, but let Omar Ayub name even one street without consulting Mahmood Khan Achakzai.”
He also announced that an apex committee meeting had been called for Tuesday to formulate a strategy, and the underperforming deputy commissioners will be replaced immediately.
On the issue of missing persons, Bugti described it as highly complex, suggesting that some groups involved in forcibly blocking roads might be behind disappearances to pressure the government.
He called for cooperation from the civil society and all stakeholders to address the issue. He also mentioned that the issue of missing persons was being exploited for propaganda and that the government was working on amendments to establish centers where the missing persons could be held, with families allowed to visit them. This amendment has already been passed by the National Assembly and is expected to be approved by the Senate soon. Regarding the arrest of Shahzaib Marri, the chief minister stated that if the Sindh government requested assistance in locating him in Balochistan, the provincial government would cooperate. However, he clarified that no specific information about Marri’s presence in the province had been provided.
The chief minister also addressed the recent statement by Nawabzada Khalid Magsi, agreeing that the situation in Balochistan was not ideal, requiring serious attention. He called on the federal government to increase the budget for levies and police forces to enhance their capacity.
Bugti expressed confidence that the government would soon bring terrorism under control through smart strategies, emphasizing the need for increased federal support to enhance the capacity of law enforcement agencies. He also mentioned plans to upgrade security in “B Areas” to “A Areas” to improve governance and security. The chief minister also pointed out that terrorism in Balochistan was not a new phenomenon, recalling similar situations in 2009 and 2010. He expressed confidence that the government would overcome the current challenges through a well-planned strategy. The chief minister also linked the rise in terrorism to the previous government’s policy of appeasement towards groups like the TTP, noting that several commanders released during Imran Khan’s tenure had reestablished camps.
He added that the influx of weapons from Afghanistan after the US withdrawal has further exacerbated the situation, with terrorists now using thermal technology to carry out attacks from up to two kilometers away.
Bugti emphasized that the government was determined to counter terrorism and restore peace, stating, “We will soon bring terrorism under control. Balochistan is vast, and if anyone is hiding here, we should be provided with specific information about their location.” In response to a question, Bugti clarified that he had never denied the concerning security situation in Balochistan. However, he criticised the opposition leaders for making exaggerated claims about the districts declaring independence without providing specific details.
-
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession