Texas launches billboard campaign in Mexico to deter migrants
“Our goal is not only to discourage them from coming, but to help them understand consequences," says Texas governor
AUSTIN: Texas is launching a visceral billboard campaign in Mexico and Central America to deter illegal immigration by highlighting sexual assault and other dangers, Texas Governor Greg Abbott said on Thursday, the Republican’s latest move to stem crossings.
“How much did you pay to have your daughter raped,” one of the signs read. Another warned that migrants will be arrested if they enter Texas illegally.
“Our goal right now, immediately, is not only to discourage them from coming, but to help them understand the consequences,” Abbott said.
The number of migrants caught illegally crossing the U.S.-Mexico border soared to record highs after President Joe Biden took office in 2021, fueling criticism by Abbott and other Republicans.t
President-elect Donald Trump recaptured the White House in November pledging mass deportations and aggressive border security efforts.
Biden toughened his border policies earlier this year, leading to a steep drop in migrants caught crossing illegally in recent months.
Abbott said the billboard campaign costs about $100,000 and aims to turn back migrants thinking of crossing illegally before Trump takes office on Jan. 20.
“There are many people who may make a last-gasp effort,” Abbott said.
Texas officials said in November that the state would offer 1,400 acres (567 hectares) of land near the border to the incoming Trump administration for its mass deportation initiative.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'