S Korea, US revise deterrence agreement to counter N Korea
SEOUL: US and South Korean defence chiefs on Monday updated a key military agreement against nuclear-armed North Korea for the first time in a decade as they hailed their “stronger than ever” alliance.
US Secretary of Defence Lloyd Austin is in Seoul for an annual security meeting with his South Korean counterpart Shin Won-sik, as the allies ramp up their defence cooperation in the face of growing missile and nuclear threats from Pyongyang.
At the Security Consultative Meeting, the defence chiefs revised the Tailored Deterrence Strategy (TDS), a deal on joint deterrence strategies to counter North Korea´s nuclear weapons and other arms, according to a joint statement.
The revisions mean the deal will allow the allies to more effectively “deter and respond to advancing DPRK nuclear and other WMD and non-nuclear capabilities with strategic impacts,” it said, using the North´s formal name.
First adopted in 2013, the allies had been working to update the document to better reflect Pyongyang´s rapidly advancing nuclear and missile threats, according to the Yonhap news agency. This year, Seoul and Washington have staged joint military exercises involving advanced stealth jets and US strategic assets.
An American nuclear-armed submarine made a South Korean port call in July -- the first in four decades -- while a US B-52 heavy bomber landed on the Korean peninsula “for the first time this century,” Austin noted during a joint press conference after the meeting. “I´m proud to say our alliance is stronger than ever,” he said.
Despite many conflicts around the world, Seoul´s defence minister Shin said that Seoul and Washington maintained “the most powerful alliance in history and the world”. “If North Korea provokes war, as confirmed by the leaders of both countries, what will be eliminated will be the Kim Jong Un regime, and what will be achieved will be unification based on the liberal democratic order led by the Republic of Korea,” he said.
-
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child