Victorious West Indies offered place at WICB table
KINGSTON, Jamaica: By claiming their second World Twenty20 title in dramatic circumstances, West Indies’ breakaway T20 players may have finally won themselves the place they have been seeking at the WICB negotiating table.
Reacting to the strong criticism thrown at him and his board, the WICB president Dave Cameron announced that he would meet the players after the IPL at the annual review in June to find a “common ground” where the “best” players can represent the region in all formats.
Cameron was reacting strongly to the critical remarks made by West Indies captain Darren Sammy immediately after becoming the first team to be crowned World T20 champions twice. In his acceptance speech Sammy said it was “very disappointing” to not hear from the WICB on the team’s triumph against England on Sunday evening in Kolkata.
While expressing his disappointment at Sammy’s “inappropriate” comments, Cameron delivered his most conciliatory message to the players for some time. Previously, he has refused to speak with the group, insisting they must deal with the players association WIPA, whose president Wavell Hinds fell out with them when he agreed to a vastly inferior pay deal in 2014, leading to the disastrous walkout from that year’s ODI tour of India. Cameron has now changed his tune.
“Coming up in May this year, the Board will host its annual review (retreat) with the players, WIPA, selectors and the technical team to review player, management and technical plans. We want to see how we can find common ground in ensuring that the best players in the region are available for selection for West Indies teams,” Cameron said in a statement delivered hours after Sammy and his men stunned England in a dazzling last-over finish.
According to Cameron, the reason the meeting with the players, which would also involve selectors, team management and the West Indies Players Association (WIPA), was planned in June was because many of the senior Caribbean players like Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo, Kieron Pollard and Carlos Braithwaite would be busy with the IPL which will be played between April 9 and May 29.
The board and selectors have omitted big names like Bravo, Sammy, Pollard from the ODI squads ever since West Indies abandoned the India tour. Bravo and Pollard were not considered for last year’s World Cup by the Clive Lloyd-led selection panel and have not played any ODI since October 2014. This January, when the WICB announced annual retainer contracts for 15 players, it said that the short list was arrived at by keeping only the Test players in mind.
One of the major stumbling blocks for the players is WICB’s insistence that they play in the regional tournaments consistently in order to be eligible for the international engagements in all three formats. The WICB has said that the players who travel around the world playing in the T20 franchise-based tournaments, cannot expect to be picked solely on their experience and stature.
Although Cameron has extended an olive branch, he highlighted that the WICB approach is hardly going to change going forward. “We are fully aware of the financial rewards on offer in the lucrative international T20 leagues, but we believe deeply in the importance of cricket to the people of the region and of West Indies cricket’s place in world cricket. It is therefore a priority to have all of our players competing and available for selection. We will also engage the ICC on this so that we protect not only the rich heritage and legacy of West Indies Cricket, but also its future. “
Incidentally, the WICB release was titled ‘WICB President has high praises for World Twenty20 Organisers’. The only word of praise for Sammy and co came indirectly when Cameron described the WICB was “overjoyed” by the fact that two West Indies teams - women and men - had won the WT20 titles. But Cameron did not waste the opportunity to remind the players who was still in charge. Cameron “pledged” to address the issue of Sammy’s outspokenness and take any necessary action.
-
Eric Dane's Girlfriend Janell Shirtcliff Pays Him Emotional Tribute After ALS Death -
King Charles Faces ‘stuff Of The Nightmares’ Over Jarring Issue -
Sarah Ferguson Has ‘no Remorse’ Over Jeffrey Epstein Friendship -
A$AP Rocky Throws Rihanna Surprise Birthday Dinner On Turning 38 -
Andrew Jokes In Hold As BAFTA Welcomes Prince William -
Sam Levinson Donates $27K To Eric Dane Family Fund After Actor’s Death -
Savannah Guthrie Mother Case: Police Block Activist Mom Group Efforts To Search For Missing Nancy Over Permission Row -
Dove Cameron Calls '56 Days' Casting 'Hollywood Fever Dream' -
Prince William, Kate Middleton ‘carrying Weight’ Of Reputation In Epstein Scandal -
Timothée Chalamet Compares 'Dune: Part Three' With Iconic Films 'Interstellar', 'The Dark Knight' & 'Apocalypse Now' -
Little Mix Star Leigh-Anne Pinnock Talks About Protecting Her Children From Social Media -
Ghislaine Maxwell Is ‘fall Guy’ For Jeffrey Epstein, Claims Brother -
Timothee Chalamet Rejects Fame Linked To Kardashian Reality TV World While Dating Kylie Jenner -
Sarah Chalke Recalls Backlash To 'Roseanne' Casting -
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75