MNA wants Kohistan declared calamity-hit

By our correspondents
April 05, 2016

MANSEHRA: The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz Member National Assembly Sarzamin Khan has asked the federal and provincial governments to declare Kohistan a calamity hit district or else the affected families would block the Karakoram Highway.

Sarzamin Khan, who is parliamentary secretary for Textile and Industry, said more than 55 people had been killed in rain related incidents in the district.Speaking to reporters on Monday, he said if the rescue and relief operation was not started immediately, the death toll might rise as people were buried under the damaged structure of their houses.

He said it was unfortunate that Kohistan was cut off from the rest of the country for the last four days but neither the federal government nor provincial government had taken serious steps to improve the situation.