Govt declares public funds not used for ZAB death anniversary

By our correspondents
April 05, 2016

Karachi

The ruling Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) announced to not use the previously allocated Rs25 million meant for public expenditure for a function supposed to be held at Garhi Khuda Bakshi in connection with the death anniversary of party leader Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto.

The directives were issued to deputy commissioner Larkana at whose disposal the allocation was previously made.

The allocation of public’s money had stirred a debate after the media and opposition parties took notice of it.

PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari had also later directed the provincial chief minister to look into the matter.Bilawal, taking notice of media reports that the Sindh government released Rs25 million for a party gathering in Larkana on April 4 to observe the death anniversary of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, has asked the chief minister to launch an inquiry into the matter.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, the PPP chairman said the expenditure of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto’s death anniversary would be borne by the party from its own funds and resources.

It was reported on Wednesday that an internal communiqué of the finance department mentioned the release of Rs25 million from provincial exchequer to the administration of Larkana district for the arrangements of the April 4 death anniversary gathering in Garhi Khuda Bakhsh, Larkana.

Talking to reporters, provincial information adviser Moula Bakhsh Chandio said Bilawal, being the leader of the party, had rightly taken cognisance of the issue as it was the party itself that had to bear the expenses of the event.