12 Nigerian soldiers killed in fighting with Islamists
MAIDUGURI: At least 12 Nigerian soldiers were killed and dozens of others are missing after fighting with Islamists in the northeastern state of Borno, three military sources said on Sunday, one of the largest known losses of life by the army in the last month.
The army said it repelled the attack in which it said one soldier was killed and another injured. The fighting followed an attack on Friday by insurgents in Gudumbali local government area - a part of Borno where Boko Haram breakaway group Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA) is influential. The sources said the poor communication network in the remote area delayed details of the attack being relayed. The attack, which the sources say was carried out on a military base and a nearby community in the Gudumbali local government area, comes as President Muhammadu Buhari’s security record has become a campaign issue two months ahead of an election in which he is seeking a second term. The three military sources, all of whom are soldiers and did not want to be named, said at least 12 troops were killed and dozens were missing after the fighting.
-
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase' -
Winter Olympics 2026: Remembering The Most Unforgettable, Heartwarming Stories -
King Charles Hands All Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Records And Files To Police: Report -
Eric Dane's Family Shares Heartbreaking Statement After His Death -
Samsung Brings Perplexity AI To Galaxy S26 With ‘Hey Plex’ Voice Command