Chairman bars NAB officers from media interviews
ISLAMABAD: The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Chairman Justice (R) Javed Iqbal on Monday barred all officers from giving any media interviews, after opposition politicians accused its top official in Lahore of conducting a "media trial".
In a statement, Justice (R) Javed Iqbal said only the Bureau's spokesperson would be responsible for giving the NAB's version to the media and public. “The NAB respects all the honourable members of the assembly,” the chairman said. He added that the Bureau has sought record of media interviews by the NAB Director-General Lahore Maj (R) Shahzad Saleem from the Pakistan Media Regulatory Authority (Pemra).
Last week, leaders of opposition parties accused Shahzad Saleem of carrying out a "media trial" of opposition politicians and tabled a privilege motion in the National Assembly urging the "immediate intervention" of the House in the matter.
On Thursday, Shahzad Saleem appeared on at least five political talk shows on different TV channels to talk about the ongoing corruption allegations against former Punjab chief minister Shahbaz Sharif.
Appearing on Geo News' show 'Aaj Shahzeb Khanzada Kay Sath', Shahzad Saleem had said that the anti-corruption watchdog would file a reference by the end of this month against Shahbaz, Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly. Earlier in the day, the NAB chairman was briefed at the Bureau's office in Lahore on major corruption cases and the matter pertaining to the director-general's TV interviews.
The NAB chairman said the NAB’s top priority was logical conclusion of the mega corruption cases to eradicate the menace of corruption from the country. “The NAB chalked out a comprehensive National Anti-Corruption Strategy to eradicate corruption across the board by adopting ‘Accountability for All’ policy,” he said. The NAB chairman directed the concerned officers to conclude complaint verification , inquiries and investigations within 10 months period in light of concrete evidence.
-
Pete Davidson’s Girlfriend Elsie Hewitt Says 'everything Hurts' After Sudden Medical Emergency -
Princess Beatrice 17 Holidays Per Year Exposed Amid Andrew Arrest -
Who Is 'Queen Of Woke'? UK First Female Civil Head -
Dwayne Johnson Confesses What Secretly Scares Him More Than Fame -
Elizabeth Hurley's Son Damian Breaks Silence On Mom’s Romance With Billy Ray Cyrus -
Shamed Andrew Should Be Happy ‘he Is Only In For Sharing Information’ -
Daniel Radcliffe Wants Son To See Him As Just Dad, Not Harry Potter -
Apple Sued Over 'child Sexual Abuse' Material Stored Or Shared On ICloud -
Nancy Guthrie Kidnapped With 'blessings' Of Drug Cartels -
Hailey Bieber Reveals Justin Bieber's Hit Song Baby Jack Is Already Singing -
Emily Ratajkowski Appears To Confirm Romance With Dua Lipa's Ex Romain Gavras -
Leighton Meester Breaks Silence On Viral Ariana Grande Interaction On Critics Choice Awards -
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down