North Korea insists it is free of coronavirus
SEOUL: North Korea remains totally free of the coronavirus, a senior health official in Pyongyang has insisted, despite mounting scepticism overseas as confirmed global infections near one million. The already isolated, nuclear-armed North quickly shut down its borders after the virus was first detected in neighbouring China in January, and imposed strict containment measures. Pak Myong Su, director of the anti-epidemic department of the North’s Central Emergency Anti-epidemic Headquarters, insisted that the efforts had been completely successful. “Not one single person has been infected with the novel coronavirus in our country so far,” Pak told AFP.
“We have carried out preemptive and scientific measures such as inspections and quarantine for all personnel entering our country and thoroughly disinfecting all goods, as well as closing borders and blocking sea and air lanes. Nearly every other country has reported coronavirus cases, with the World Health Organization saying on Wednesday that there were nearly one million confirmed infections globally. Aside from China, South Korea endured one of the worst early outbreaks of the virus, which has claimed more than 45,000 lives around the world. Experts have said the North is particularly vulnerable to the virus because of its weak medical system, and defectors have accused Pyongyang of covering up an outbreak. The top US military commander in South Korea, General Robert Abrams, said Thursday that Pyongyang’s assertion it had no cases was “untrue”. “I can tell you that is an impossible claim based on all of the intel that we have seen,” Abrams told VOA News. The North’s military was “locked down” for 30 days in February and early March over the epidemic, he said.
“They took draconian measures at their border crossings and inside their formations to do exactly what everybody else is doing, which is to stop the spread,” he added. US President Donald Trump said previously North Korea “is going through something” and offered “cooperation in the anti-epidemic work”, in a personal letter to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
-
Trump Announces A Rise In Global Tariffs To 15% In Response To Court Ruling, As Trade Tensions Intensify -
Chappell Roan Explains Fame's Effect On Mental Health: 'I Might Quit' -
AI Processes Medical Data Faster Than Human Teams, Research Finds -
Sarah Ferguson’s Friend Exposes How She’s Been Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Release -
Jelly Roll Explains Living With 'severe Depression' -
Charli XCX Applauds Dave Grohl’s 'abstract' Spin On Viral ‘Apple’ Dance -
Anna Sawai Opens Up On Portraying Yoko Ono In Beatles Film Series -
Eric Dane's Wife Rebecca Gayheart Shares Family Memories Of Late Actor After ALS Death -
Palace Wants To ‘draw A Line’ Under Andrew Issue: ‘Tried And Convicted’ -
Eric Dane's Girlfriend Janell Shirtcliff Pays Him Emotional Tribute After ALS Death -
King Charles Faces ‘stuff Of The Nightmares’ Over Jarring Issue -
Sarah Ferguson Has ‘no Remorse’ Over Jeffrey Epstein Friendship -
A$AP Rocky Throws Rihanna Surprise Birthday Dinner On Turning 38 -
Andrew Jokes In Hold As BAFTA Welcomes Prince William -
Sam Levinson Donates $27K To Eric Dane Family Fund After Actor’s Death -
Savannah Guthrie Mother Case: Police Block Activist Mom Group Efforts To Search For Missing Nancy Over Permission Row