Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
February 16, 2016

School blast turns out to be a prank gone wrong


February 16, 2016

Two matric students, both brothers, arrested for exploding firecracker at their school but later released


Two brothers, both matric students, were arrested by police on Monday for creating panic in their school by exploding a firecracker there on February 12, but later released considering their ages.

Police had rushed to their school located near the Asghar Ali Shah Stadium in North Nazimabad on February 12 following an explosion there believing that it was a terrorist attack and had found a student, Usama, with injuries to his hand.

Usama had told the police that somebody had thrown a cracker inside the school and his hand was injured in the explosion.

However, the counter-terrorism department’s anti-transnational terrorists intelligence group chief Raja Umer Khattab had cast his suspicions the very same day saying that the explosion at private school was different than the  bombs blasts that had occurred at a police station and girls college in the city earlier in the day.

Talking to the News, DIG West Feroze Shah said the police had gone through the CCTV footage of the school explosion but had not seen anyone throwing a bomb inside the school.

The police then talked to other students who told them that Usama had brought a firecracker to the school and it had exploded in the class.

They talked to Usama again and confessed that he and his brother Zarar had not paid their school fees and after the principal had told them that they could not sit in the exams, they had bought a firecracker at the Qadri Market in North Nazimabad for Rs60 and brought it to the school to create panic.

However, the firecracker exploded while Usama was trying to light it and he suffered injuries to his hand.

The DIG said the police had released the boys by considering their age and future after completing legal formalities.      

Topstory minus plus

Opinion minus plus

Newspost minus plus

Editorial minus plus

National minus plus

World minus plus

Sports minus plus

Business minus plus

Karachi minus plus

Lahore minus plus

Islamabad minus plus

Peshawar minus plus