Wood enjoying the role of England enforcer ahead of Ashes finale
HOBART: Fast bowler Mark Wood said Thursday he was enjoying his enforcer role for the under-siege England team heading into the final Ashes Test at Hobart’s Bellerive Oval.
The day-night match begins Friday and is England’s last chance to salvage something from the five-Test series.
They are 3-0 down with the Ashes gone after being beaten heavily in the first three Tests at Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne.
But England restored a little pride in Sydney last week as they fought a rearguard action to cling on for a tense draw on Sunday’s final day.
Wood has consistently been the fastest bowler on either side and, in the absence of the injured Jofra Archer, has provided his captain Joe Root with an attacking weapon.
Often injury-prone in the past, Wood said he hadn’t expected to play four Tests but his fitness work had allowed him to keep up his pace.
Wood is England’s second leading wicket-taker for the series with eight and with a little more luck could have had many more victims with his extra pace consistently troubling Australia’s top order.
“I have worked hard on my fitness and I have had a desire deep down to keep bowling fast and keep running in and to be the only fast bowler here to offer a point of difference,” Wood said.
“I’ve got that responsiblity on my shoulders and I’ve actually enjoyed it that I’ve got to keep charging in.
“I’ve got to keep doing that side of things for the team and hopefully I can keep my speeds up for another game.”
Wood’s wickets have three times included the prize scalp of the world’s top-ranked batsman, Marnus Labuschagne.
But he brushed off claims that had given him a moral victory over the Australian line-up.
“We’re still getting battered — it would be a moral victory if he was getting out and we were winning,” Wood said.
-
Emily Ratajkowski Appears To Confirm Romance With Dua Lipa's Ex Romain Gavras -
Leighton Meester Breaks Silence On Viral Ariana Grande Interaction On Critics Choice Awards -
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage -
Will Sarah Ferguson End Up In Police Questioning After Andrew’s Arrest? Barrister Answers -
Matthew McConaughey Gets Candid About AI Threat To Actors: 'Be Prepared' -
Hailey Bieber Shares How 16-month-old Son Jack Blues Is Already Following In Justin Bieber's Footsteps