Funds released for 200 electric buses: minister
LAHORE:The Punjab government has released Rs3.4 billion for procurement of 200 eco-friendly electric buses to reduce air pollution.
Chairing a meeting held at Civil Secretariat on Friday in connection with better transport facilities in Punjab, Punjab Finance Minister Hashim Jawan Bakht observed that the eco-friendly buses would be run in major industrial and commercial cities of Punjab to control the serious situation of air pollution. He said the buses had been selected which would not only be smoke-free but also be reasonable in operational cost. Other eco-friendly technologies will be used later to reduce air pollution, he said.
The meeting was attended by Provincial Minister for Transport Jahanzeb Kachchi, Adviser to Chief Minister on Economic Affairs Dr Salman Shah, Finance Secretary Iftikhar Ali Saho, Planning and Development Secretary Imran Sikandar, transport secretary, Punjab Mass Transit Authority managing director, Chief Executive Officer Lahore Transport and other relevant officers. The transport secretary informed the meeting that electric buses had been used for public transport in developed countries since 2015. The countries in which the electric buses are being used include China, India, Europe and the United States. The major manufacturers of these buses include the companies from France, Germany, China and the United States. He said that under the Electric Vehicle Policy, a target of 1,000 buses was set in Pakistan for the next five years. “We have to complete 50% of our target by 2030,” he said. Provincial Minister for Transport Jahanzeb Kachchi called on the private sector to invest in environment-friendly transport.
The finance minister directed the transport secretary to formulate transport models for Faisalabad and Bahawalpur after Lahore. “Create opportunities for the companies that are aware of use and usefulness of modern technology in view of the future expansion of the scope of electric transport. Green financing can also be used with the subsidised model of transport,” he said.
-
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful' -
Gemma Chan Reflects On 'difficult Subject Matter' Portrayed In 'Josephine' -
Blood Falls In Antarctica? What Causes The Mysterious Red Waterfall Hidden In Ice -
AI Power Play: Nvidia Moves To Invest $30 Billion In OpenAI -
Will Savannah Guthrie Ever Return To 'Today' Show? Here's What Insiders Predict -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor In A Fix Over New Disturbing TMZ Photos