Starc writes off World Twenty20 chances
SYDNEY: Fast bowler Mitchell Starc has all but written off his chances of making a faster-than-expected recovery from ankle surgery and playing a part in Australia’s bid for a first World Twenty20 title.
The 25-year-old left-arm quick had surgery on ankle spurs after sustaining a stress fracture in his foot during the inaugural day-night Test against New Zealand in November.
Starc, the player of the tournament at last year’s 50-overs World Cup, was always an outside shot to make the March 11-April 3 World Twenty20 in India due to the estimated recuperation period and he was unable to offer a better prognosis on Wednesday.
“It’s very unlikely,” he told reporters at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
“Everything would have to go perfectly to be any chance. I won’t know until I can start doing some stuff on it.
“I don’t want to rush it. I want to make sure it’s 100 percent because I’ve rushed back before and been dropped after a game.
“I’ve played probably non-stop for two years and the silver lining is I get to give the body a bit of a break and rebuild that strength. Make sure everything is 100 percent before I go again.”
Starc said the operation had gone well but it would be a while before he was bowling in excess of 150 kilometres per hour as he did in the second Test against New Zealand in Perth in November, when one delivery was clocked at 160 kph.
“Everything had felt great on that day, so I think it just comes back to the rhythm and smoothness in my action on any given day,” said Starc, sporting a ‘moon boot’ to stabilise the injured joint.
“It’s going to take a while to get back to my bowling workload and get that rhythm back after spending some time out.”
-
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years -
Eric Dane Drops Raw Confession For Rebecca Gayheart In Final Interview -
Trump Announces New 10% Global Tariff After Supreme Court Setback -
Influencer Dies Days After Plastic Surgery: Are Cosmetic Procedures Really Safe? -
Eric Dane Confesses Heartbreaking Regret About Daughters' Weddings Before Death -
Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi Reveals Stage 1 Cervical Cancer Diagnosis -
Timothee Chalamet Admits He Was 'grumpy' Before Beau Kylie Jenner's Unexpected Move -
Hilary Duff’s Son Roasts Her Outfit In New Album Interview -
Alexandra Daddario, Andrew Form Part Ways After 3 Years Of Marriage -
Eric Dane Rejected Sex Symbol Label -
Avan Jogia Says Life With Fiancee Halsey Feels Like 'coming Home' -
Kate Middleton's Role In Handling Prince William And Harry Feud Revealed -
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
David, Victoria Beckham Gushes Over 'fiercely Loyal' Son Cruz On Special Day