Boris warns ‘we are not out of the woods yet’

By Pa
April 28, 2021

LONDON: Healthy adults aged 42 and over in England have been urged to come forward for their Covid-19 jab as the Prime Minister warned that the nation is “not out of the woods yet”.

Boris Johnson raised concerns about new variants of the virus during a meeting of the Cabinet, Downing Street said. But he told ministers that the road ahead “looks positive”. It comes after new figures show that deaths involving Covid-19 in England and Wales have fallen 97 per cent since the peak of the second wave of the virus.

A No 10 statement said: “Cabinet concluded with an update on the pandemic.

“The PM reiterated that the data continues to look good but warned that we are not out of the woods yet as variants of concern continue to pose a threat.

“The PM said that while the road ahead looks positive, there will still be challenges and this Government will continue to take tough decisions where necessary to protect both lives and livelihoods.”

It comes after Johnson denied saying he was prepared to let “bodies pile high” rather than order another lockdown, amid a bitter briefing war that has hit Downing Street.

Meanwhile the NHS coronavirus vaccine booking system was extended for the second time in two days to allow more healthy adults in their 40s to book their jab.

People in England who are aged 42 and over, or those who will turn 42 before July 1, can now arrange their vaccine appointment through the national booking website.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said he was “standing by” his phone waiting for a text message as he was now eligible for the jab. Government data up to April 25 shows that 46,650,008 jabs have been given in the UK so far, including 12,897,123 second doses.