Christchurch anniversary: Teen ‘planned mosque attacks’ in Singapore
SINGAPORE: A Singaporean teenager planned to attack two mosques in the city-state on the anniversary of a massacre of Muslim worshippers in New Zealand, authorities said on Wednesday.
The 16-year-old — picked up in December — made “detailed plans and preparations” to mount the attacks using a machete on March 15, two years after a shooting rampage in Christchurch by Australian white supremacist Brenton Tarrant, security officials said.
Tarrant was last year sentenced to life in prison without parole after killing 51 worshippers in the attacks on two mosques during Friday prayers.
“It was clear from the attack plans and preparations that this youth was influenced by Tarrant’s actions and manifesto,” Singapore’s internal security department said in a statement.
The male student had prepared statements to be released before the attacks, one of which “borrowed heavily from Tarrant’s manifesto”, they said. One described the New Zealand long-wolf gunman as a “saint” and the Christchurch attacks as “justifiable”.
-
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports