Indian tennis players to take part in Lahore event
KARACHI: Pakistan has cleared Indian tennis players for participation in the 23rd Maple Leaf Cement Pakistan ITF Seniors World Ranking Tennis Championship in Lahore next month. “Eleven tennis players from India have entered their names in this event. Two of them, Prasad Apte and Robin Vinod Kumar, have got visas
By Waqar Hamza
October 23, 2015
KARACHI: Pakistan has cleared Indian tennis players for participation in the 23rd Maple Leaf Cement Pakistan ITF Seniors World Ranking Tennis Championship in Lahore next month.
“Eleven tennis players from India have entered their names in this event. Two of them, Prasad Apte and Robin Vinod Kumar, have got visas and the rest are likely to get their visas on Monday,” said Pakistan Tennis Federation (PTF) secretary Khalid Rehmani while talking to ‘The News’.
He said tennis is not a high-profile game in Pakistan so it wouldn’t get affected. “Some people suggested us to keep these events low profile considering the recent tension between India and Pakistan, especially in sports. But we are hopeful that nothing untoward will happen,” said Khalid.
He added that the officials of PTF had used their connections to get clearance for all the Indian players and they had been conveyed the message to go to the Pakistan embassy and get visas. “We have telephoned them and they will go to the embassy on Monday to get visas,” he added.
Khalid said both the players who had got visas participated in the previous edition of the event last year in Lahore. “Their main player Pawan Jain is actually playing in Thailand and will go back to India on Saturday,” added Khalid.
This Grade-4 event is to be played on the grass courts of Bagh-e-Jinnah tennis courts from November 2-7. The entry deadline was October 14.
The event offers more than $1000 in prize money. The singles and doubles events for men are in the age categories of 35, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65. For women there is only one age category, that of 35 plus, in singles and doubles events. According to the acceptance sheet, the Indian players that have entered their names are Dilip Mohanty for 35 category; Prasad Apte, Avneesh Raghuvanshi, and Gurdarshan Singh Ramana for 45 plus category; Pawan Jain, Harsh Sharma, and Vinod Kumar for 50 plus category.
In 55 plus age category, Ajeet Bhardwaj, Rakesh Kohli, Ajay Talwar, Naresh Khatri, and Kishore Choudhary have entered their names. Sushil Suri entered his name in 65 plus category.
Shashi Bhushan Sharma withdrew from 50 plus category and Sushil Suri withdrew from 55 plus category.
“Three Indian players have entered their names in Karachi Club Pakistan ITF Seniors World Ranking Tennis Championship and we will try our best to arrange visas for them as well,” added Khalid.
That event is also Grade-4 and is to be played on the plexipave surface at Karachi Club from November 21-27.
The deadline for entry is November 4. “We are giving free board and lodging for all overseas participants for the duration of the tournament in this Karachi event,” added Khalid.
The singles and doubles events for men in this championship are in the age categories of 35, 45, 55, and 60 while for women there is only one category of 35 plus in singles.
“Eleven tennis players from India have entered their names in this event. Two of them, Prasad Apte and Robin Vinod Kumar, have got visas and the rest are likely to get their visas on Monday,” said Pakistan Tennis Federation (PTF) secretary Khalid Rehmani while talking to ‘The News’.
He said tennis is not a high-profile game in Pakistan so it wouldn’t get affected. “Some people suggested us to keep these events low profile considering the recent tension between India and Pakistan, especially in sports. But we are hopeful that nothing untoward will happen,” said Khalid.
He added that the officials of PTF had used their connections to get clearance for all the Indian players and they had been conveyed the message to go to the Pakistan embassy and get visas. “We have telephoned them and they will go to the embassy on Monday to get visas,” he added.
Khalid said both the players who had got visas participated in the previous edition of the event last year in Lahore. “Their main player Pawan Jain is actually playing in Thailand and will go back to India on Saturday,” added Khalid.
This Grade-4 event is to be played on the grass courts of Bagh-e-Jinnah tennis courts from November 2-7. The entry deadline was October 14.
The event offers more than $1000 in prize money. The singles and doubles events for men are in the age categories of 35, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65. For women there is only one age category, that of 35 plus, in singles and doubles events. According to the acceptance sheet, the Indian players that have entered their names are Dilip Mohanty for 35 category; Prasad Apte, Avneesh Raghuvanshi, and Gurdarshan Singh Ramana for 45 plus category; Pawan Jain, Harsh Sharma, and Vinod Kumar for 50 plus category.
In 55 plus age category, Ajeet Bhardwaj, Rakesh Kohli, Ajay Talwar, Naresh Khatri, and Kishore Choudhary have entered their names. Sushil Suri entered his name in 65 plus category.
Shashi Bhushan Sharma withdrew from 50 plus category and Sushil Suri withdrew from 55 plus category.
“Three Indian players have entered their names in Karachi Club Pakistan ITF Seniors World Ranking Tennis Championship and we will try our best to arrange visas for them as well,” added Khalid.
That event is also Grade-4 and is to be played on the plexipave surface at Karachi Club from November 21-27.
The deadline for entry is November 4. “We are giving free board and lodging for all overseas participants for the duration of the tournament in this Karachi event,” added Khalid.
The singles and doubles events for men in this championship are in the age categories of 35, 45, 55, and 60 while for women there is only one category of 35 plus in singles.
-
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports