Fifth of virus-hit firms in UK mull layoffs: survey
LONDON: A fifth of UK private companies want to furlough — temporarily lay off — staff owing to the coronavirus turmoil, the British Chamber of Commerce said Wednesday.
Analysts said that the figure, based on a BCC survey of 1,000 companies, could rise to around 30 percent, costing the government up to ‘£40 billion (45 billion euros, $49 billion) under its jobs retention plan.
“Our latest data shows that many businesses face a cliff-edge scenario, either at the end of this month or over the course of the next quarter,” said BCC Director General Adam Marshall. “We’ve seen a big jump in the number of firms furloughing staff, and many are now starting to apply for access to government loan and grant schemes to keep themselves afloat.”
The jobs plan, designed to prevent mass redundancies in the face of the COVID-19 crisis, sees the state pay 80 percent of the wages of furloughed workers. It goes up to a maximum of ‘£2,500 per month each.
The Coronavirus Jobs Retention Scheme, launched last month by finance minister Rishi Sunak, could cost between ‘£30 billion and £40 billion over the next three months should private companies seeking the state aid rise to 30 percent, according to think-tank Resolution Foundation. “The cost of the scheme depend on firms’ take-up and the length of time workers need to be furloughed for,” said Resolution Foundation Chief Executive Torsten Bell. “The economic and social cost of mass unemployment in the absence of such a scheme would be far, far greater.”
-
Apple Sued Over 'child Sexual Abuse' Material Stored Or Shared On ICloud -
Nancy Guthrie Kidnapped With 'blessings' Of Drug Cartels -
Hailey Bieber Reveals Justin Bieber's Hit Song Baby Jack Is Already Singing -
Emily Ratajkowski Appears To Confirm Romance With Dua Lipa's Ex Romain Gavras -
Leighton Meester Breaks Silence On Viral Ariana Grande Interaction On Critics Choice Awards -
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage