FC Cologne pulls out of China football academy
FRANKFURT AM MAIN: German Bundesliga club FC Cologne has pulled out of a football academy in China, with one senior official saying “human rights are massively disrespected” in the country.
Cologne had been slated to run the school for young footballers in Shenyang, northeast China, for 1.8 million euros ($2.0 million).
Club president Werner Wolf said in a statement Wednesday “we have decided not to continue the project... due to the current sporting situation,” saying a reevaluation of “resources and priorities” was behind the move. “Other forms of possible co-operation, for example sponsoring from Chinese companies, hasn’t been ruled out,” he added. But Stefan Mueller-Roemer, a former club president and now head of the fan council, told local newspaper Koelner Stadt-Anzeiger that “we don’t need China in sport.” “Human rights are massively disrespected in China,” Mueller-Roemer charged, saying the country has “built up a worse total surveillance state than (“1984” author) George Orwell could have conceived.”
-
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports