Interior ministry asks IHC to halt Musharraf verdict
ISLAMABAD: The interior ministry on Monday requested the Islamabad High Court (IHC) to stop a special court from announcing its reserved verdict in a high treason case against former president Gen (retd) Pervez Musharraf.
In its petition, the interior ministry requested that the special court’s judgment be stopped until a new prosecution team was formed. It also appealed to the IHC to annul the announcement of the special court’s verdict.
The full bench of the IHC comprising Chief Justice Athar Minallah, Justice Amir Farooq and Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kayani would hear the interior ministry’s application today.
Separately, former president Musharraf filed an application in the Lahore High Court on Monday, seeking suspension of the special court’s reserved verdict until his lawyer was given the opportunity to submit his stance.
A single bench of the LHC, comprising Justice Syed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi, sought arguments on maintainability of the petition, asking Musharraf’s counsel to advance arguments on Wednesday that how it could hear the matter, if proceedings were pending before the Supreme Court against Musharraf.
“Musharraf is a resident of Islamabad then how the LHC can hear the matter,” it added.In the petition filed through senior lawyer Khawaja Ahmad Tariq Rahim, Gen (retd) Musharraf challenged the judgment reserved by a special court in the high treason case against him and sought suspension of his trial in absentia.
The special court had reserved its verdict on November 19, saying it will be announced on November 28.Musharraf was indicted in the case in March 2014 for suspending the Constitution in 2007. In 2016, he left for Dubai to seek medical treatment and did not return since then.
In October, the government had sacked the entire prosecution team formed by the previous Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) government. On October 24, the interior ministry de-notified the prosecution and constitutional teams, as well as a research assistant working on the high treason case against Musharraf. The notification said the step was taken under Section 4-A of the Central Law Officers Ordinance, 1970, which deals with appointments made by the President. It said the services of the teams had been “disengaged”.
-
Space-based Solar Power Could Push The World Beyond Net Zero: Here’s How -
Kate Walsh Remembers Her 'Grey’s Anatomy' Co-star Eric Dane Following His Death At 53 -
AI Ad Wars Begin As Perplexity Snubs ChatGPT Advertising -
Microsoft Copilot Bug Exposes Confidential Emails To AI -
Eric Dane Final Emotional Words Revealed After Tragic Death -
Prince William 'furious' Regarding His Own Future After Andrew Arrest -
Charli XCX Reveals ‘confusing’ Toll ‘Brat’ Popularity Took On Her -
Android Phones At Risk: PromptSpy Malware Exploits AI -
Barry Manilow Gives Insight Into 'very Depressing' Doctor Visit As He Postpones 2026 Arena Tour Due To Cancer -
Margot Robbie Opens Up About Imposter Syndrome ‘crisis’ -
'Desperate' Sarah Ferguson Won't Go Down Without A Fight -
Prince William, Kate Face Major Challenge To Repair Monarchy Reputation After Andrew Arrest -
Hidden ‘dark Galaxy' Traced By Ancient Star Clusters Could Rewrite The Cosmic Galaxy Count -
Eric Dane 'really Wanted To Talk About His Daughters' In His Final Netflix Interview Before Death -
AI Superintelligence Race: Meta And Microsoft Back Rival Visions—Who Will Win? -
Chatbots Push Users Into ‘delusional Spirals,’ Experts Warn