Nigeria eyes graft charges against football officials
ABUJA: The head of a Nigerian presidential anti-corruption body has said charges will be brought against football officials for allegedly misappropriating public funds.
Okoi Obono-Obla disclosed that the body was in the process of finalising charges and that a “prima facie case” had been established. “We will now file charges against them,” said Obono-Obla, who is chairman of Muhammadu Buhari’s Special Presidential Investigation Panel for Recovery of Public Property.
“They will be arraigned before a court of competent jurisdiction,” he told Kiss FM Abuja radio in an interview on Friday, without identifying the individuals by name. Obono-Obla has previously interviewed the head of the Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick, and his two deputies, Seyi Akinwunmi and Shehu Dikko.
NFF general secretary Mohammed Sanusi and executive committee member Ahmed Yusuf have also been questioned. Pinnick was re-elected for a second term as head of the federation in September last year, despite a long-running battle over the legitimacy of his position. The dispute has led to a string of court cases and political interventions, prompting world governing body FIFA to threaten to ban the African powerhouses from international competition.
President Buhari launched a high-profile campaign in 2015 to prosecute corrupt officials who had stolen what he said were “mind-boggling” sums of public money. The main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has accused Buhari of conducting a political witch-hunt because most of those arrested and charged have been party members. Obono-Obla, who is also the president’s special assistant on prosecutions, has denied coming under any direct or indirect political pressure in the latest case. The federation is a so-called “parastatal” in that it receives direct government funding in addition to external commercial sponsorship and football development grants.
-
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’ -
Poll Reveals Majority Of Americans' Views On Bad Bunny