close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
AFP
September 16, 2018
Advertisement

US says denuclearisation talks ongoing with North Korea

World

AFP
September 16, 2018

Share

WASHINGTON: Talks with North Korea are ongoing over the country’s potential denuclearization, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Friday, despite the appearance that discussions had stalled. “We are still continuing to have many conversations with the DPRK about how to effectuate achieving all the commitments that were made during the Singapore summit,” Pompeo told journalists. At a landmark meeting June 12 with US President Donald Trump, North Korea’s Kim Jong Un pledged to denuclearize the Korean peninsula. However, no details were agreed, and Washington and Pyongyang have sparred since over what that means and how it will be achieved. Last month, Trump abruptly canceled a planned visit by Pompeo to Pyongyang. But new ground appears to have been broken, as the White House talks of a possible second summit with the US president. Top US diplomat Pompeo on Friday said the United States is “as committed as ever to continuing to enforce those UN Security Council resolutions.” “We believe they are central to President Trump’s efforts to convince Chairman Kim that full, final denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula is necessary.”

Advertisement

Comments

Advertisement

Topstory minus plus

Opinion minus plus

Newspost minus plus

Editorial minus plus

National minus plus

World minus plus

Sports minus plus

Business minus plus

Karachi minus plus

Lahore minus plus

Islamabad minus plus

Peshawar minus plus