Iraqi teenager guilty of carrying out London train bombing
LONDON: An Iraqi teenager, who had come to Britain as an asylum seeker, was found guilty on Friday of attempted murder after detonating a home made bomb on a packed rush-hour London commuter train, injuring 30 people, prosecutors and police said.
Ahmed Hassan, 18, was found guilty of trying to murder the passengers on board an underground train heading to central London on Sept.15 last year, prosecutors said.
The bomb went off at Parsons Green station and flames engulfed the carriage, but it did not fully explode, limiting the scale of injuries in what authorities said was Britain´s fifth major attack of 2017."It was only a matter of luck that the device did not work as he intended or it could easily have led to the loss of innocent lives," said Sue Hemming from Britain´s Crown Prosecution Service.
Hassan, who the court heard had spoken of his duty to hate Britain because of the deaths of his parents in Iraq, had been placed under Britain´s counter radicalisation programme at the time. "He was very cunning and devious," Dean Haydon, the head of London Police´s Counter Terrorism Command told BBC TV.
"On the face of it, Hassan was engaged on the programme. But coming back to his devious nature, he kept it very secretive in relation to what he was doing, what he was planning, and nobody around him actually knew what his plot was. "Haydon said a review of the counter-radicalisation programme would now be undertaken. On the day of the attack, the teenager left his foster home in Sunbury-on-Thames in west London and set the timer for the device, made with the highly volatile triacetone triper-oxide (TATP) - known as "the mother of Satan", in toilets at Wimbledon station where he boarded a District Line underground train, police said.
SHRAPNELHe got off at the stop before Parsons Green leaving behind his bomb which was placed in a bucket. It was packed with more than two kilograms of metal shrapnel including screws, bolts, nails, knives and screw drivers, the court heard.
There were 93 passengers in the carriage when it detonated. They reported hearing a loud bang and seeing a fireball with one woman suffering burns to her hands, legs, and face causing her to lose the hair on her eyebrows and eyelashes. Others were hurt in a stampede to flee the scene. Hassan was arrested in the southern port of Dover the following day carrying 2,320 pounds in cash and a new phone. The court heard he arrived in Britain in the back of a lorry in 2015, claimed asylum and was placed with foster parents in Sunbury.
He told British officials that he had been taken by force by Islamic State militants, who had threatened to kill his family members, and had given him military training. Britain said at the time there was no evidence to suggest IS was responsible for the Parsons Green attack despite the group´s claims of responsibility.
-
Emily Ratajkowski Appears To Confirm Romance With Dua Lipa's Ex Romain Gavras -
Leighton Meester Breaks Silence On Viral Ariana Grande Interaction On Critics Choice Awards -
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage -
Will Sarah Ferguson End Up In Police Questioning After Andrew’s Arrest? Barrister Answers -
Matthew McConaughey Gets Candid About AI Threat To Actors: 'Be Prepared' -
Hailey Bieber Shares How 16-month-old Son Jack Blues Is Already Following In Justin Bieber's Footsteps