PFF begins hunger strike against alleged illegal occupation of freshwater bodies
Feudal lords are snatching the livelihoods of the underprivileged fishing community, said activists of the Pakistan Fisherfolf Forum on Monday as they began a four-day hunger strike against the alleged illegal occupation of more than 600 freshwater bodies by influential feudals, including the fisheries minister.
A large number of fishermen – both women and men – gathered at the hunger strike camp outside the Karachi Press Club, chanting slogans against this illegal occupation of lakes and freshwater bodies.
PFF Chairman Muhammad Ali Shah said that the fishermen rights body had been carrying out tireless and peaceful protest against the occupation of 1,209 fresh water bodies of Sindh since the last decade. “As a result of PFF’s years-long struggle against this unlawful violation of human rights, Sindh Assembly amended Sindh Fisheries Act 1980 in 2011 declaring the occupation of freshwater bodies and lakes as illegal and called for an immediate end of contract system on all freshwater bodies and lakes in the province,” he said.
He added that unfortunately after the end of contract system in 2011, the current Sindh fisheries minister Muhammad Ali Malkan, feudal lords, land grabbers and others are once again controlling more than 600 lakes and freshwater bodies in Sindh unlawfully and are snatching away the bread and butter of the poor fishing community. “Due to this, fishermen and their families are being displaced from their indigenous fishing grounds,” Shah said.
The PFF chief further said that fishing is the only source of livelihood for these fishing communities and after the occupation of water bodies by these feudal lords, they have been reduced to deplorable living conditions. “Their right to livelihoods is utterly denied,” he complained.
Shah demanded that the illegal alleged occupation by the fisheries minister and other land grabbers on Babli Lake in Sujawal district be immediately ended so that the indigenous fishermen can earn their living lawfully and freely.
He also demanded that Malkani be immediately removed from his seat as a minister and be arrested along with Yameen Habib for kidnapping and torturing the leaders of fisherfolk community. Shah also threatened that if their demands are not met, then thousands of fishermen from across the province will gather outside the CM House and will protest until the demands are met.
-
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports